Arizona leads Cal 38-35 at halftime

Simon Asher
University of California’s Darius McNeill (1) pushes past Arizona’s Parker Jackson-Cartwright (0) duringthe Arizona-Cal game on Saturday, March 3 in McKale Center.

Arizona men’s basketball leads Cal 38-35 at halftime on senior night in the McKale Center. 

Cal scored the first two points of the game and then Arizona jumped out to a quick 10-2 lead. Call took the lead once again at 17-16, but Arizona pulled away from there, leading by as much as 11 with 3:51 left in the half. However Cal made a 6-0 run over the last 54 seconds on the half to go into the locker room only down three. 

Throughout the first half Arizona played strong offense, but let Cal, the team with the worst record in the Pac-12, shoot over 50 percent from the floor. Arizona struggled to guard Cal in the paint, and 26 of the Golden Bears 35 points came from inside. 

On offense, Arizona shot 48 percent from the floor and hit 4-of-11 from 3-point range. 

Deandre Ayton led the way for Arizona with a 14 point, 11 rebound double-double while Rawle Alkins followed him with 11 points. Both Ayton and Alkins made a three. 

For Cal, Justice Sueing led the way with 10 points and two rebounds. 

Follow Nate Airulla on Twitter.