Police Beat: Sept. 23

Under the bed nightmare

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol on Saturday around 1 a.m. when another officer reported she had seen a man near Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall who had previously been banned from the location. The officer on patrol spoke to a resident assistant, who said the man was known to hang out in one of the resident’s rooms. The officer went up to the room and one of the residents permitted him to enter. The officer asked if the man was hiding in the room, and the man directed his gaze to the bed. The officer noticed a man under the bed behind a laundry basket. He said he knew he was not supposed to be there. The officer handcuffed and escorted him from the building. The man’s lip and right eye were swollen, but he refused medical attention. He said some men he didn’t know beat him up and he ran into the dorm to hide. He also said he had been drinking a little. The officer conducted a search and found two white pills in his pocket. The officer read him his rights and drove him to Pima County Jail. On the way, the man said he was 17, so the officer took him to Pima County Juvenile Detention Center. The staff rejected the man because he had possibly taken an unknown pill and needed to be medically evaluated. The officer then took the man to Kino Community Hospital.. The man shouted obscenities when a nurse tried to take his blood pressure and said, “Don’t touch me, I’m not submitting to anything without my lawyer.” The officer and hospital staff tried to explain the treatment was separate from the arrest, but the man kept shouting and hospital security had to hold him down while nurses took his vitals and blood sample. The man was cleared the next morning and another officer transported him to Pima County Juvenile Detention Center for trespassing, minor in possession and disorderly conduct.

*Golf cart obscenities *

UAPD officers were on patrol at 1 a.m. on Saturday when they witnessed a golf cart with seven people inside wait for two women to pass in the crosswalk near Arizona-Sonora. One of the men shouted “Slut!” at the women as they passed. The officers stopped the golf cart and the people inside admitted to drinking at an off-campus pool party. All of them submitted to preliminary breath tests and four of them showed presence of alcohol in their systems. The four students were cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Couch potato causes scene

A UAPD officer met with a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday in response to a report of attempted larceny. The woman told the officer she had walked into the kitchen area and saw two men trying to steal an oversized spoon and fork that belonged to the house. She told them to get out and they ran out. When the woman entered the “date room” a few minutes later, she saw a man watching television alone. He said he was with a member of the sorority but she wasn’t there at the moment. The woman yelled at him to get out and continued until a UAPD officer walked up and placed the man in handcuffs. Another woman came downstairs and told officers she was with the man they handcuffed. She said she was getting ready upstairs and told him to watch TV so he wouldn’t be bored. The man said he saw three other men run out of the house and gave descriptions of them. The sorority members said they did not wish to press charges if the men were found, but only wished to inform them they were not permitted inside.