Police Beat: Dec. 2

Stolen overhead projector

An overhead projector was stolen from a classroom in the Cesar E. Chavez building sometime between Nov. 24 and Nov. 29. When a University of Arizona Police Department officer arrived, he saw power cords that were left hanging from the ceiling. The bracket that used to hold the projector was still intact and appeared to have fingerprints. The officer collected two pieces of the mounting bracket that the projector was on as evidence. The officer submitted it to property and evidence at UAPD and they will be sent to undergo latent prints checking. A UA employee said that the overhead projector is valued at $3,600.

Broken fence

An unknown person cut part of a fence surrounding the secured yard of the Arid Lands Sunnyside Complex. This occurred sometime between Sunday and Monday.

A UAPD officer went to the complex and spoke with the resident maintenance mechanic, who lives on the west side of the complex. He showed the officer where the chain-link fence had been damaged. A metal security bar and a metal roll-up door had also been broken. Some strands of barbed wire on the fence had been cut in an inward angled, smooth and consistent motion with bolt cutters.

The bottom of the security bar on the window of the building had been bent out. The bricks near the anchors that held the window in place were cracked and chipped. This suggested that something was used to pry the assembly loose. The bottom panel of the window was pushed in, but there was no opening big enough for anybody to fit through. There was no damage to the window either. The officer did not see any evidence of fingerprints on the metal assembly or window. He also noted no evidence of entry at any of the other windows. Nothing was stolen from inside of the building.

The employee said he would contact Facilities Management so it could repair the damaged property. Photographs were taken of the incident and placed into property and evidence.

Found driver’s license at UAPD

An Arizona driver’s license was found at the UAPD station on Monday, at 10:13 a.m., in a vehicle that was parked at the station and taken into possession by UAPD. They placed it into property and evidence for safekeeping. The non-UA affiliated owner could not be located, and no phone number belonging to that person is known.

Student takes mystery pill, calls 911 for herself

A UAPD officer went to Coronado Residence Hall at 10:42 a.m. on Monday and headed toward the room of a woman who was suspected of overdosing. As the officer approached, she was already standing outside her door and said, “”You are here for me.”” The woman then asked if they could speak in private. The officer told her that the community director of the residence hall was in her office and had requested that they go down there. The woman agreed and they went to the community director’s office. Soon after, paramedics arrived and evaluated her. The woman told paramedics she had taken an unknown pill about 10 hours before and became worried because she could not sleep. She then called 911.

Since the woman did not know what pill she had taken, she was transported to the emergency room at UMC to be evaluated. The officer went to the hospital as well, and spoke with the woman in the emergency room. She explained that she had been off-campus when someone gave her a pill. Once she ingested it, she began seeing lots of bright lights and colors, but added that she was still in control of herself. She said she thought the pill might have been acid. She did not know where she was or whom she was hanging out with when she took the pill. The officer asked if she knew how she had gotten back to her dorm room. She said no. When the officer asked her to describe the pill, the woman said she did not remember anything about it.

The woman said what she did was a stupid thing to do after the officer asked why she would take any pill if she had no idea what its side effects were. The officer told her Counseling and Psychological Services was a good resource to consider if she ever needed help and gave her the number. UMC staff then told the officer that the woman would be staying there until tests were completed and she received medical clearance.