Police Beat: March 19

Criminally good

A non-UA affiliated man was pulled over for going more than twice the speed limit on March 12.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was monitoring the Speedway Boulevard and Olsen Avenue intersection when he noticed a gold Dodge Caliber driving faster than surrounding vehicles. The officer clocked the car going 72 mph in a 35 mph zone.

The driver of the car pulled to the side of Speedway Boulevard and presented a valid license and registration. The man told the officer he knew he was speeding but was unaware of how fast and said he was doing so because he was “listening to rock music and was jamming to a good song.”

The man was arrested and released for criminal speeding.

AZ-stoned

A UA student was cited and released for marijuana-related charges, and three other students were given referred to the Dean of Students Office for code of conduct violations outside of Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall at 2:30 a.m. on March 9.

Two UAPD officers were conducting a security check of the dorm’s surrounding area when they noticed a smell of marijuana from an exterior southwest courtyard. The cops heard talking and laughing, and as they approached the noise and smell grew stronger.

Two men standing next to a bench and two others sitting were
    startled by the officers, according to the report. The group appeared to be smoking a hand-rolled cigarette, which one of the
    men standing immediately dropped.

Police then requested identification from the group. They were all
    UA students.

The man holding the joint was then cited and released for charges of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. The joint was entered into UAPD evidence.

Ford speed ahead

A non-UA affiliated man was cited and released for speeding and driving with a suspended license on Campbell Avenue at 9:15 a.m. on March 13.

A UAPD officer stopped a white Ford F150 after the driver was seen driving 51 mph in a 35 mph zone. The driver was unable to provide a driver’s license but verbally identified himself. A record’s check showed the man’s license was suspended and that court action
    was required.

An officer asked the man if he was aware of his suspended license and the man said he was making payments toward it, but was unsure if it was still suspended. The man’s truck was impounded.