Sam Thomas scores 25 points, helping Arizona WBB to get back in the win column

Nathanial Stenchever

Sam Thomas, a forward on the Arizona women’s basketball team, shoots free throws on Friday, Nov. 19, in McKale Center. The Wildcats lead at half 32-22.

The Arizona women’s basketball team got back on track with a win over the University of Utah 76-64 on Friday, Jan. 21.

“This was a really big win for us. Utah’s a really good team, very talented offensively,” head coach Adia Barnes said. “So, it was the number one offense versus the number one defensive team in the Pac-12 today.”

Sam Thomas led the Wildcats with 25 points and shot 64% (7/11) from the field, 67% (6/9) from the three and 100% (5/5) from the free-throw line.

“I think my family, my fans, the coaches, my teammates, everybody in the world always wants me to shoot more. It’s been a constant thing my whole time here,” Thomas said.

The Wildcats shot the ball 46% (26/56) from the field, 43% (9/21) from beyond the arch, and 71% (15/21) from the free-throw line. 

Arizona built a 15 point lead going into halftime on a 19-4 run and that was because Arizona forced turnovers and turned defense into offense. Helena Pueyo was a big part of that with five steals in the game. Utah fought back to cut Arizona’s lead to six early in the fourth quarter but Arizona was able to build the lead back to double-digits.

The Wildcats forced 22 turnovers which Arizona converted into 21 points off of turnovers. 

Arizona lost the rebound battle 34-24 in the game. On the defensive side, Arizona lost the rebound battle 25-19 and on the offensive side of the ball lost the battle 9-5. 

No. 10 Arizona plays No. 22 University of Colorado Sunday, Jan. 23 at 12 p.m. MST at McKale Center. 

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter