Police Beat: March 7

Sexual assault reported at Theta Chi

A UA student reported that she was sexually assaulted at the Theta Chi fraternity house at 7 p.m. on March 2.

Officers from the University of Arizona Police Department met with the woman and her friend following the incident. Her friend, who had originally called the police, said someone had followed the woman and tried to rape her when she went into a bathroom.

The woman seemed reluctant to talk about what had happened, but she finally disclosed it to UAPD privately, without her friend.

She said she had arrived at the fraternity around 3 p.m., and went to use a bathroom around 7 p.m. A man followed her into the bathroom, put his hands on her shoulders and then pushed her against the wall, she said. He then pinned her in place and fondled her against her will.

When another man came into the bathroom, her assailant ran out.

The suspect was described as tan with a medium build and brown hair, about 5 feet 10 inches, and possibly with braces.

She said he was “very intoxicated,” and she did not want to police to try to contact him or get the fraternity or him “in trouble.”

Police told her about UA Campus Health Service counseling services and she completed a victim’s rights form.

‘Corrupt-ass cops’

A UA student was referred to the dean of students for his behavior after screaming obscenities at 7:11 p.m. on March 4.

UAPD went to Babcock Residence Hall to check on the student at the request of his mother, who said he’d become upset and wouldn’t answer her calls after he got in a fight at an unknown location.

Police spoke with the student in the residence hall’s parking lot as he sat in his running car. Police asked him to park his car while they spoke with him, and he started shouting and waving his arms. The officers then told him to get out of his car to talk.

“Leave me the fuck alone, corrupt-ass cops,” the student said.

He was then placed in handcuffs for his “aggressive/combative” behavior.

“Get these fucking handcuffs off me,” he said. “Fuck you!”

The man kept cursing and yelling at the police, so UAPD took the student inside the dorm to speak with him in a private room.

There the man told police that he “hated cops” and denied involvement in any fight. He remained uncooperative, and when asked if he wanted to press charges against the individual he’d fought, said, “No, I’m gonna do my thing.”

The student was unable to identify the individual he had fought and denied medical assistance, although an officer requested that Southern Arizona Mental Health Corporation evaluate the student.

“Oh fuck no, I don’t need this shit, I’m gonna do my thing,” the student said, standing up and trying to leave the room.

Police decided the man was not a threat to himself, but referred him to the dean of students due to his behavior.

“This is bullshit,” the student said.

False alarm

UAPD officers went to Babcock at 4:45 a.m. on March 2 to investigate a fire alarm that had been activated by smoke.

Police checked the fire alarm panel at the dorm and went to the room where the alarm was set off.

As police neared the room, they smelled a strong odor of marijuana. They knocked on the door three times, to no response.

Because of the alarm, police were able to get a key to the room from a resident assistant. When they entered the room, there were no people or signs of smoke or fire to be seen, but there was a very strong smell of marijuana.

Police used a CatCard lying on the desk to to confirm who lived in the room, and referred him to the dean of students because of the smell of marijuana.