GymCats finish fourth in Regionals, Mills heads to NCAAs

Jesus Barrera
Arizona gymnast Lexi Mills lands her jump off the high beams in McKale Center on Friday, Jan. 8. The Texas native is one of four senior leaders on this year’s team.

The Arizona gymnastics team concluded its season at the Athens Regional, placing No. 4 overall with a team score of 195.900. The mark put them above Michigan State University and George Washington University, but just a tenth of a point shy from tying No. 3 with Pac-12 Conference foe Oregon State University.

“We are so proud of the team’s effort and the resiliency they showed on the floor this afternoon,” Arizona head coach Tabitha Yim said via Arizona Athletics. “This team has a lot of heart, and they fought for every skill, landing, and routine. It was a great experience for our staff and team, and we are thrilled for Lexi to finish out her senior season in Dallas.”

The meet took place at the University of Georgia in the Stegeman Coliseum. Attendance at the meet was 4,994.

Southeastern Conference powerhouse programs Louisiana State University (197.300) and University of Georgia (196.850) will move on to Fort Worth, Texas, to compete in the NCAA Championships.

Beginning the first rotation on a bye, the Wildcats managed a team score of 49.025 on floor. Jessie Sisler led the way with a 9.875 in the event. Krysten Howard hit her floor routine with a 9.850. Kennady Schneider and Selynna Felix-Terrazas both finished with scores of 9.775 in the rotation.

The UA then moved on to vault, an event in which the team has struggled to find consistency. Tonight was no different, as the Wildcats finished with a 48.775. Maddy Cindric and Shelby Edwards had the highs for the Wildcats, each with 9.800s.

After another bye rotation, the Gymcats combined for their highest team score of the night on the uneven bars, with a 49.100. Lexi Mills hit a 9.875, followed close by Howard with a 9.825. Felix-Terrazas and Gabby Laub both finished the rotation with 9.800’s respectively.

The sixth and final rotation for Arizona was the balance beam. Mills placed first overall in the event with a 9.900. It was Arizona’s only first, second or third place in the meet. With the mark, Mills will be competing in the balance beam event at the NCAA Championships in Fort Worth, Texas on April 15-16.

Cindric added a 9.850 and was Arizona’s only all-around competitor. She finished the evening with a 39.175 overall in all four events.

Danielle Buchanan was placed into the beam lineup for the first time this season and since 2013, finishing with a 9.825.

While as a team Arizona failed to make its way to the NCAA Championships, the Wildcats remained in contention the entire way. For having a first-year head coach in Tabitha Yim, Arizona did a solid job keeping pace with some of the top teams in the country.