‘Legend’ has it at Tucson concert

Looking for an ultimate fan experience? Go to a John Legend concert.

Opening Scene: Chattering Tucsonans are seated in the venue, 20 rows from the stage, debating whether or not to move closer to unclaimed open seats. Vaughn Anthony and Laura Izibor have just completed their sets and the house lights are on.

As these chattering Tucsonans are about to get up, the lights go out. A small light is seen high above the stage.

Chattering Tucsonan #1: “”Dude, is John Legend about to fly down from the top?””

Three husky men then come out from nowhere with a large black box and places it three feet from the Chattering Tucsonans.

Chattering Tucsonan #2: “”Yo, what the heck is going on?””

Chattering Tucsonan #3: “”I don’t know.  Are they trying to block us in?””

Chattering Tucsonan #1: “”No, I think he’s going to fly in!””

Chattering Tucsonan #2: “”Oh my God! NO, there he is!””

To the amazement of the audience, John Legend walks through a side door and onto the large black box inches away from the Chattering Tucsonans, singing “”Redemption Song.””

Grammy award winner John Stephens — a.k.a. John Legend — performed for a full house at the Tucson Music Hall last night as part of his multi-city tour. Backed by a ten-piece band, the suave soul man sang a substantial number of songs from his three albums: Get Lifted (one of the best soul albums ever), Once Again, and Evolver. “”Used To Love U,”” “”It’s Over,”” and “”Let’s Get Lifted,”” rocked and the full timbre of his rich voice mesmerized during “”So High,”” “”Quickly,”” “”Everybody Knows.”” 

The night started off with a smattering of feel-good R&B music. Anthony, Legend’s little brother, sang a quick set with a voice just as strong as his sibling’s. Izibor, the Nigerian-Irish soul songstress, burned the mic with her booming voice accented by a blazing band. What a treat for fans!

Later, Legend gave more. He invited a shy girl on stage to dance with him during “”Slow Dance”” (and gave her a rose and a kiss) and later jumped into the audience to finish out “”Greenlight.”” And while the audience thought he was “”ready to go right now,”” he came back dressed in a fitted black suit and white tie to sing “”Ordinary People.”” 

Legend predicted that it was going to be a good show in his phone interview with the Daily Wildcat. And it was.