Police Beat

Police found a $1,500 golf cart parked along East Second Street near North Park Avenue at 4:12 a.m. on Sunday, reports stated.

Police noticed the cart had been parked improperly. The cart was facing north with the back wheels touching the curb on the south side of the street, reports stated.

Inside the cart was a red party cup. Behind the cart was a second red party cup with freshly spilled liquid on the ground. To the right of the cart was a smashed beer bottle, reports stated.

The cart belonged to the media arts department and had not been reported stolen.

Police made several attempts to contact the department, but were unsuccessful, reports stated.

The cart was pushed back to the University of Arizona Police Department, 1852 E. First St., and parked inside the compound for safekeeping, reports stated.

Police have no suspects or witnesses, reports stated.

A man was cited for trespassing at 6:55 p.m. Monday after police saw him and another male jumping their skateboards off the west side stairwell of the Education building, 1430 E. Second St., reports stated.

A records check showed the man had been warned twice for skateboarding on campus.

Police took the man’s skateboard and issued him a citation, reports stated.

The skateboard was impounded for safekeeping, reports stated.

Members of the recycling staff found 60 items of property at 7:48 a.m. Monday in the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., reports stated.

The items were in a large, clear plastic bag that employees said was found in a recycling tub on the west side of the building.

It appeared someone from the Rec Center’s lost and found had dumped the items to get them off of their hands, reports stated.

The items included keys, wallets, watches, notebooks, clothing and other things police normally receive for processing.

Police contacted a number of people and offices in order to return the property, reports stated.

About half of the items were returned to their owners and rest was placed into property for safekeeping.

A student was cited for speeding, no proof of insurance, failure to display registration and having expired plates at 8:13 a.m. Monday after police saw him speeding, reports stated.

The student was traveling 44 mph in a 30 mph zone, reports stated.

Police stopped the student at East Drachman Street and North Park Avenue.

The student’s plates had expired June 2004, reports stated.

The student was cited and released, reports stated.

A student’s Zone 1 parking permit was stolen from his vehicle while it was parked at 1121 E. Helen St., reports stated.

The student told police the permit had been stolen between 11 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on either March 22 or 23.

The student said his top had been off of his vehicle, so no forced entry was needed to enter.

The vehicle was not damaged and nothing else was missing, reports stated.

Police found a check at 5:40 p.m. Monday in the breezeway of the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., reports stated.

Police attempted to call the owner of the check but were unable to make contact.

Police e-mailed the student telling him they had his check, reports stated.

The check was placed into property for safekeeping, reports stated.

Police found a rear bicycle tire around 7 p.m. Monday outside of the BioSciences West building, 1041 E. Lowell St., reports stated.

The tire was lying on the bottom steps in the outside lower section on the north side of the building, reports stated.

No one was in the area when the tire was found.

The tire was placed into property and evidence, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.