TOPIC OF THE WEEK: Campus etiquette, transportation options and internship opportunities 101

Alexander Peet
A westbound SunLink tram is stopped at the Main Gate Square station on University Blvd. on Friday, July 20, 2018.

For new students, maneuvering through your first year at the University of Arizona means more than getting from point A to point B. Easing that navigational stress means figuring out what works for you. Whether it’s learning to not walk in the bike lanes, being the one on the bike, or cycling through job listings, our staff has you covered with pointers on getting where you need to go, no matter the destination. 

Sam Burdette — Campus Etiquette

As an incoming senior, I certainly have a few helpful tips for in-person classes (some of which came from lessons learned the hard way). The biggest piece of advice I can give is be sure you know exactly how long it takes to get to your classes. I underestimated my walk time from my dorm and awkwardly slipped into a lecture hall one too many times. So, now, I do one of two things: Google Maps my walk and add two minutes of building navigation to whatever it says, or I time myself (and I mean to the second) on the first day. And, if you happen to be running late on your first day and you’re worried about finding the right room, you can look up the floorplan of the building and find exactly where you want to go, although you will need to login with your NetID before you can view them.

While there didn’t used to be many rules to worry about while just walking around campus, other than “don’t do anything illegal,” COVID-19 has brought with it some strict guidelines. The UA president, Dr. Robert C. Robbins, said in his past reentry briefings that there will be signs all over campus reminding people to wash their hands, maintain a six-foot distance from others and wear their masks. Masks will be required in classrooms, in all buildings (with the exception of when you are eating) and in certain outdoor areas.

This semester is going to be extremely different from any before. I’m sure we’re all going to be learning the new social norms together as we go. But, perhaps I will have been able to save one of you from an embarrassing moment.

Pascal Albright — Transportation Options 

When it comes to getting around campus the options are endless… Well, more aplenty than endless, but still an array of choices to pick from. Starting with my personal favorite, the Sun Link Streetcar. It runs from Downtown Tucson through north campus and can take you from a building like Education to Main Gate Square in two stops. A day pass costs $4, and can be bought through the app or at the stations. Sun Link also has the city bus system, called Sun Tran, which costs $1.75 per ride and can take you across Tucson. 

Now, UA is a big bike university, so of course biking is encouraged. There are plenty of stations to lock bikes near classes and bike paths across campus. If you have a car, there are parking options as well. Through UA Parking and Transportation, the proper pass can be purchased or your questions can be answered for your transportation needs. 

Selena Kuikahi – Internship Opportunities

“Where are you interning this summer?” This question loomed over me my entire freshman year. The pressure to get those internship credits and make some serious career connections is on as soon as you declare your major. But don’t psych yourself out just yet! It’s not about landing your dream job right off the bat. In fact, my first college internship taught me, more than anything, what kind of job I didn’t want. As long as you’re gaining work experience, networking and figuring out what you want to do in the future, then it’s worthwhile. 

There isn’t a singular trick to snagging an internship, so it’s important to utilize every resource. Since career fairs might be on a hiatus for a while, make sure to browse through Handshake, LinkedIn and your specific college’s internship portals. And, most importantly, listen to your career advisor. Every major has a faculty member dedicated solely to getting you ready for the workforce. Collaborate with them on your resume, get your cover letter and email-writing skills up to par and don’t send the job listing emails straight to the trash. Oh, and create good relationships with your professors. It was through friends and professor referrals that I was able to land my most beneficial summer gigs. Networking is inherently self-serving, so don’t be shy to do exactly what we’re taught in our “professional” courses. Take the opportunities when they come!

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter