Top 5 romantic places on campus

Gordon Bates / Arizona Summer Wildcat
The turtles in the UA turtle pond, located on the southeast quadrant of 2nd Street and Park Avenue, are among other animals such as Koi and frogs. Students can visit the pond area and catch the turtles peaking out of the water or basking in the sunlight.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Summer Wildcat The turtles in the UA turtle pond, located on the southeast quadrant of 2nd Street and Park Avenue, are among other animals such as Koi and frogs. Students can visit the pond area and catch the turtles peaking out of the water or basking in the sunlight.

The turtle pond

Hidden by palm trees in the grassy southwest corner of Park Avenue and Second Street, this small freshwater pond is home to koi fish, ducks and more than a dozen turtles. Most days, the turtles can be observed basking in the sunlight on the rocky barrier of the pond or taking a relaxing swim. The turtle pond is a great date spot for romantic picnics and late-night walks. The best time of the year to really enjoy your date is the springtime, when baby turtles the size of quarters start flopping around the pond.

Flandrau Science Center, Observatory and Planetarium

A great pride of Tucson’s science community, the renowned Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium is also a perfect date spot. The dark, calming (and educational) atmosphere of one of the planetarium’s shows can be so romantic that it is almost appropriate to pop out one of those cheesy pick-up lines, like “”these stars aren’t half as bright and beautiful as your eyes.”” Other attractions here are the Steward Observatory and weekend Laser Light Shows. Flandrau is open until 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

The Highland Greens

Don’t let the name deceive you; the Greens are not a golf course, but rather a large, grassy lake-shaped area that is a popular hangout among students. The Greens are located west of Highland Avenue, behind the Posada San Pedro and Villa del Puente residence halls. Surrounded by trees on the outskirts, the Greens offer both shade and sunshine to create the perfect picnic atmosphere. Bring a comfy blanket, stop by Highland Market to fill your picnic basket and you’re all set for a classically romantic date. This getaway is also a prime location to lean back onto the soft, green grass and gaze up at the stars with your special someone.

The fountain at Old Main

Surrounded by colorful, blossoming flowers right in the heart of campus, the fountain on the west side of Old Main creates a great setting for a casual rendezvous after class. Take advantage of the area’s bustling student population to people-watch with your partner and stir up conversation. The proximity of the Student Union Memorial Center makes it easy to grab a Starbucks or IQ Smoothie to share. One straw, please. 

Student Union sunsets

Tucson itself is renowned for its spectacular sunsets. On campus, one of the best places to experience the breathtaking view is the Student Union Memorial Center. Take your special someone up to the third or fourth level westside terraces and forget about the stress of your day. You and your date can relax as the sun disappears behind the mountains and covers the Old Pueblo in that signature purple and orange glow. The view is so calming and romantic that this a wonderful place to share a perfect kiss.