UA seeks funds for med. school expansion

Tami Mazura and Micha Hilliard, both nursing seniors, study in the courtyard outside of the Nursing building yesterday afternoon. Nursing students may be studying in Phoenix sooner rather than later if the UA receives funds to expand the program there.

FLAGSTAFF – The UA will ask the state for $13 million more for the expansion of the College of Medicine to Phoenix in an effort to increase the number of medical students and expedite the development process.

“”This state needs doctors and scientists, but we’ve still got a long way to go,”” said Regents President Robert Bulla at yesterday’s Arizona Board of Regents meeting.

Instead of a class of 24 medical students in 2008 as originally planned, 64 students will be admitted to the Phoenix campus during its second year.

Students and faculty began moving into the first erect building yesterday, said Regent Gary Stuart.

The UA will be asking the state for $6 million specifically for the Phoenix medical school and $1.5 million for the Phoenix pharmacy school. Other funds would go toward the overall biomedical campus.

President Robert Shelton hailed the medical school as “”the cornerstone for a much larger effort,”” referring to the collaboration with ASU and other group in Phoenix.

The entire biomedical campus will house extensions of the colleges of medicine, nursing, pharmacy and public health.

Turnout for the opening ceremony, slated for Oct. 10, was initially expected to be about 150 people, said Stuart. Now, with the growing interest in the medical center, the expected turnout is around 650.

“”This is a critical moment in time for the vital sciences area,”” Bulla said. “”Now Arizona can move forward with economy and a knowledge base that is critical for the future.””

One hundred and fifty students are expected to be enrolled in the Phoenix medical school within five years.