Opinions Board: Boos and Bravos

Opinions Board: Boos and Bravos

Boos and Bravos highlights the best and worst happening around the UA and Tucson communities and is brought to you by the Daily Wildcat Opinions Board. This is the first of a recurring series which we aim to publish weekly.  We welcome Boos and Bravos from our readers, tell us yours by sending an email to opinion@dailywildcat.com.

This week was an eventful one, with those of us in Tucson searching for shade in the heat while the Arizona Board of Regents met in the cooler climate of Flagstaff and determined our budget. While there’s a lot to comment on, at least we have some Wildcats to celebrate. 

Bravo to Worlds of Words for adding a world language section. The research center received donations of 1,000 books from students, faculty and other supporters within the community. 

Boo to the temperature hitting 100 and beyond already. We knew the heat wave was coming, we just worked really hard to forget that fact. 

Bravo to the Arizona Board of Regents for approving the UA’s plan to spend $18 million on renovations and repairs to the School of Animal and Comparative Biomedical Sciences.

Boo to the millions of dollars in deferred maintenance that still remain an issue, which totals more than $300 million.

Bravo to Tucker Dunn, UA English as a second language professor, who lived out a lifelong dream of appearing on the TV game show Jeopardy. As of Tuesday, his two-day earnings were $27,600. 

Boo to Arizona Wildcat sports ending. We were looking forward to watching Arizona softball and baseball throughout June. We wish you the best of luck preparing for next year, Bear Down!

Bravo to UA Alumni Steve Kerr, Andre Iguodala and Bruce Fraser of the Golden State Warriors for winning the NBA finals.

The Daily Wildcat Opinions Board is comprised of Opinions Editor Jamie Verwys, Editor-in-chief Chastity Laskey, Managing Editor Courtney Talak and Arts Editor Kathleen Kunz.