Gymcats to compete in Seattle for Pac-10 championship

UA gymnast Miranda Russell performs on the uneven bars in a win over BYU and Cal State-Fullerton on March 21 in McKale Center. The Gymcats will compete in the Pacific 10 Conference Championships this weekend in Seattle.

The last time the No. 15 Arizona gymnastics team was in Seattle, it was anything but sleepless as it defeated the Huskies in a dual meet for the first time since 1996.

On Saturday, when the Gymcats (9-5, 3-3 Pacific 10 Conference) return to Bank of America Arena on the campus of Washington, they will be looking to win the Pac-10 Championships.

“”They team looked good (in practice),”” said head coach Bill Ryden. “”We are as healthy as we can be at this point.””

Ryden said he is pleased with the team’s rotation as they start with a bye, then vault, another bye, beam, bars and finish with the floor.

“”We start on a strong event for us,”” Ryden said, “”and it is up to us to do a good job.””

The last time Arizona was on the road (March 15 in Denver) it had its worst meet of the year, but the team does not expect that to hold it down.

“”We just consider that to be a fluke,”” senior Karin Wurm said of the Denver meet. “”(Mentally) it will have no affect on us.””

Ryden said that the Pac-10s are a different kind of meet and will bring out a lot more passion than a dual meet.

“”It is a tournament-style meet, and there is always a bunch of stuff going on,”” Ryden said. “”It is the last time (teams) can get a (Regional Qualifying Score) and brings out a lot more intensity and emotion.””

The Gymcats, currently ranked fourth in the Pac-10 behind No. 7 Oregon State, No. 8 UCLA and No. 10 Stanford, feel that they have just as good a chance of winning as the conference’s upper echelon.

Ryden said there are no dominant teams like there have been in past years and that he likes his team’s chances for a victory.

“”We just have to do our jobs,”” he said. “”We can compete with anyone on a neutral floor and we want to show we are worthy of our ranking. We just need to hit our routines and let the scores take care of themselves.””

The Gymcats are hoping that their weekend in the Emerald city will leave the rest of the Pac-10 green with envy.

“”We are not aiming for a specific placing because if everyone does their jobs,”” Wurm said, “”the scores will fall into place.””