Greek Week promotes fun events and charity

Rebecca Noble
Rebecca Noble / The Daily Wildcat Austin Martin, a freshman in pre-business, and Andrew Del Rio, a juinor in business management, shake hands at the Kappa Sigma house on Monday.

UA Fraternity and Sorority Programs will celebrate Greek Week 2015 with rock ’n’ roll-themed events today until Friday to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

“This year’s Greek Week is unique because we have made this an opportunity not only to unify the Greek community but also work toward helping an extraordinary cause,” said Taylor Muzatko, director of the For the Kids executive board at the UA.

Muzatko said in the past, UA Greek Life has participated in an all-greek philanthropy event outside of Greek Week.

“This year, we combined the two to really focus on one of the four pillars of Greek Life: philanthropy,” Muzatko said.

Brian Kewin, Interfraternity Council president, said all of the money raised during Greek Week will be donated to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to help with its ever-growing efforts in pediatric research and care.

“The IFC made our yearly contribution to the For the Kids committee in order for them to program the best week possible,” Kewin said.

Kewin also said the IFC has encouraged all of its chapters to participate so that this can be the largest, most successful Greek Week to date.

“I am so excited for Greek Week this upcoming week,” said Cayla Weiss, vice president of Panhellenic for the Alpha Lambda chapter of Alpha Epsilon Phi at the UA. “It’s a great opportunity to get to know more people in the greek community while all fundraising for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. It will be an amazing week filled with fun events and bonding within the greek community.”

The week before spring break, many greek chapters participated in a banner competition on the UA Greek Week Facebook page to kick off Greek Week events and get greek members excited about participating.

Students will have the opportunity to “Pie-A-Pres” during Greek’s Got Talent on Tuesday, Muzatko said. That same night, there will be a competition to determine who is the best chef in UA Greek Life.

“Wednesday we will be having an Instagram challenge, and the Greek Student Alumni Relations Council has the Third Annual Greek Senior Sendoff that evening at Gentle Ben’s,” Muzatko said.

Muzatko said Thursday’s event will be the Greek Week Knowledge Bowl challenge, an event that also took place last year, where members of Greek Life will have the opportunity to compete in a battle of scholarship.

“Friday will conclude Greek Week with chariot races to the Greek’s Got Talent finale event,” Muzatko said. “At Greek’s Got Talent, each team will showcase their talents, we will announce our fundraising total and a local St. Jude patient will be there and share their story with our community.”

Greek Week 2015 events are being put on by the For The Kids committee, which was created after last year’s fundraising success “to promote a joint effort of promoting philanthropic efforts and planning events for the University of Arizona Greek community,” said Muzatko in a For the Kids press release.

_______________

Follow Brandi Walker on Twitter.