“ASUA talks transparency, guns”

Increased transparency, new requirements for declaring a major and firearms in locked automobiles were three of the key topics at yesterday’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona meeting.

ASUA President Chris Nagata said that the student government is in the process of upgrading its Web site, and that its budget is now available online.

“”Early on, we identified being more open and more informative as one of our priorities. Our ASUA budget is now available online for your viewing pleasure, for the student body’s viewing pleasure, “” he said.

Opacity has plagued the ASUA in the past, and the body is now working to be more open and transparent.

The group discussed a new university policy wherein students must declare a major by the time they have 60 credits. The exception is for transfer students with 60 credits already, who must choose a major within one semester of their transfer.

Nagata voiced support for the policy, saying that it should help with class availability and student retention by helping them to “”find their academic niche.””

Senators also discussed how to respond to a new law passed by the Arizona Board of Regents that allows students to keep loaded guns in locked cars parked in UA parking lots.

The UA Faculty Senate issued a resolution raising concerns about how these changes would affect student safety.

Now, ASUA senators are considering issuing their own statement in response to the law, and debated what such a statement would say.

“”The faculty thought that it was important to address the safety concerns that arise with this legislation,”” Nagata said. “”I wanted to bring you all the documents so that you (the senators) could discuss and decide if you feel it is appropriate to adopt a similar resolution.””

Senator Daniel Wallace urged other senators to consider their constituents when drafting a resolution.

“”I encourage you all to take a look at what the law is, how it will actually affect students at the university, and ask the students what they think,”” he said.