Bears bury soccer in Bay Area clash

Berkeley, CA. Oct. 30. Cal women’s soccer team played University of Arizona at Edward’s Stadium on Friday, October 30. The Bears won 2-0. Anna Hiatt/Staff Photographer

The Arizona soccer team was outmatched from the onset in a 4-0 shutout loss to No. 1 Stanford on Sunday in Palo Alto, Calif.

After coming off a loss on Friday in which the Wildcats were shut out by California 2-0, nothing changed against the Cardinal, who controlled the entire game.

“”We just didn’t come out with the right emotion in the first half,”” said co-interim head coach Lisa Oyen. “”To start the game we were trying to figure them out, to see what kind of team they really were.””

The Cardinal took the early lead with a header by forward Mariah Nogueira on a pass from Christen Press in the 25th minute.

At halftime the Wildcats trailed 2-0 and were outshot 10-2, never making any significant threat to score in the first half.

“”I don’t think we came out with enough determination,”” said forward Renae Cuellar. “”I guess playing against the No. 1 team can bring some nervousness, but I don’t think it should have affected us the way it did.””

The Wildcats were able to double their shot attempts in the second half but were still outshot by the Cardinal 15-4. They were outshot 25-6 for the game.

In the second half, the Wildcats were able to calm down but still not able to do enough to make any serious attempt at scoring.

Ashley Jett replaced Devon Wharf in the net for the second half, making seven saves while allowing two goals. Combined, the Wildcat goalkeepers had to make 11 saves while Cardinal goalkeeper Kira Maker didn’t need to make any to earn the shutout.

The Wildcats were outscored 6-0, following up their best performance of the season against ASU last weekend with a disappointing two-game set in the Bay Area.

Now the Wildcats will focus on their two home games on Sunday, which will be the team’s final games of the season.

“”It should be motivation to send our seniors off the right way,”” Cuellar said. “”We have nothing to lose, so hopefully we can end our season in a positive way.””