ASUA election kicks off

A larger than expected pool of potential candidates attended the first Associated Students of the University of Arizona 2007 elections informational meeting last night.

“”It’s incredible,”” said ASUA President Erin Hertzog. “”In previous years we would only have 10 people show, but tonight was a big turnout.””

About 30 candidates showed up for the meeting to learn more about the elections process and to gain a better understanding of what to expect from the month-long period of nominations and elections.

“”It is a challenging endeavor, but candidates can expect a good response from the students when they campaign, and it will be a lot of fun,”” Hertzog said.

Potential candidates can pick up a candidate packet from the ASUA front desk from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Hertzog said.

“”We are expecting to have five candidates run for ASUA president, four for executive vice president, four for administrative vice president and 35 candidates for ASUA senator,”” Hertzog said.

Candidates should be prepared to spend a lot of time campaigning.

“”People can expect to spend more time on actual campaigning than on the job,”” Hertzog said. “”Because after a day of campaigning a candidate goes home to think of the next day of campaigning.””

A significant difference for this year’s elections is a refined elections code.

“”We have reorganized the elections code to be more supportive for the candidates,”” said David Martinez III, ASUA elections commissioner. “”But ultimately, the new code was created to have a smoother election, unlike from years past.””

The same code has been used since the early ’80s, and the newly updated code will take into account other creative ways for campaigning, such as using Facebook and MySpace, Martinez said.

Along with an updated elections code, students can expect a larger pool of candidates.

“”Something that we started this year was a candidate recruitment drive. We have been advertising on Facebook and passing out fliers. We want to give students a large selection of candidates,”” Hertzog said.

UA professor lands grant from Humanities Endowment

A UA assistant professor was awarded a $4,561 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities yesterday, one of 288 national grants.

Astrid Norvelle, an adjunct assistant professor of legal research for the James E. Rogers College of Law, said the grant will be used to fund a preservation assessment of the special collections at the Law Library.

Randy Silverman, preservation librarian for the University of Utah’s Marriott Library, will recommend how to improve the collection, which contains materials ranging from Roman Law in the 17th century to environmental and water rights laws, including Colorado River disputes, Norvelle said.

The collection also has Indian, Mexican and immigration law, publications from UA faculty members and graduate students and old codes of Arizona Law.

NEH will distribute a total of $10.7 million in grants for a range of humanities projects, including ones that advance the study, teaching and understanding of American history and culture.

Seven other Arizonans won a grant, including two at Arizona State University.

Norvelle said the law collection may soon be moving from its current home in the basement of the College of Law.

“”It’s a small but growing collection,”” Norvelle said. “”We hope to be the best place in Southern Arizona to research law.””