Querrey family athletically blessed

Some families have it all when it comes to athleticism — for example, the Manning, Williams, and Bonds families.

The UA has its own recognized sports family in the making — the Querrey family.

While Ellen Querrey decided to play on the hardwood court in the gym for the Wildcats, her brother, Sam Querrey, chose the professional tennis court. The 21-year-old is currently ranked a career-high No. 22 in the world and second among U.S. players after Andy Roddick, according to the Men’s Tennis ATP Rankings.

Most recently, Robin Soderling defeated Sam Querrey in the third round of the U.S. Open on Sept. 5.

Ellen’s father, Mike Querrey, played baseball for the UA after being selected in the fifth round of the 1979 draft. 

Bolstered by his father’s past, Sam Querrey decided to turn pro in 2006 instead of accepting a scholarship to USC.

Sam Querrey also has a unique group of followers, called the Samurai. The fan base is made up of his high school friends, who adorn themselves in body paint and bandanas.  Although they do not follow him to every tournament, the support has grown as Querrey climbed up the charts.

For Ellen Querrey, there’s no doubt about her family’s influence on her decision to stick with sports in college.

“”He’s (Sam) not a reason I decided to play sports,”” said Ellen Querrey, “”but he’s a reason I kept with it because he did that.””

Now that she’s made it to NCAA volleyball, Ellen Querrey will have her chance to make a splash of her own. The outside hitter could make a name for herself and add to the growing Querrey family legacy.

Even though the Querrey family has three different sports on their radar, they are still all bonded by the fact that sports have always been a major part of the family’s identity.

“”I like it,”” said Ellen Querrey of what her family has in common. “”We all play sports.””