‘Wicked’ to cast a spell in Tucson next year

UApresents and Broadway in Tucson are coming together to co-present “”Wicked”” at UA’s Centennial Hall. The musical will run next year from Jan. 5 to Jan. 23.

The Tony Award-winning “”Wicked”” has been on Broadway since October 2003. The musical has toured the nation, breaking box office records in each city it has visited. 

Natalie Bohnet, executive director of UApresents, is excited about the collaboration. Having recently been named executive director, she was challenged to create a full season of shows under intense budget restrictions. With the success of the 2009-2010 season, it seems hosting “”Wicked”” will add another accolade for UApresents.

“”We are really excited to have this opportunity. We estimate the economic impact will be around $10 million,”” Bohnet said.

“”This will be great for campus. It will attract more students. It will be a great draw to have such a well-known Broadway show in Tucson,”” she added.

With Centennial Hall hosting classes this academic year, there was potential for a conflict to arise. Bohnet said the university provosts were very flexible and allowed the show to come to campus. With the performances affecting seven days of classes, alternative locations for the affected courses will be found.

“”The reason ‘Wicked’ is a top-grossing musical is because it truly is a spectacular theatre experience,”” said Lendre Kearns, general manager of Broadway in Tucson. “”‘Wicked’ is one of those kinds of shows that helps people fall in love with theatre.””

Despite the amount of orchestration needed to successfully plan for the show, Broadway in Tucson and UApresents are excited for the production to hit the UA.

“”We all hope this is the beginning of a new relationship (for UApresents and Broadway in Tucson.) Hopefully, with this cooperation we’ll be able to bring in more big-name shows that often pass Tucson by,”” Kearns said.

President Robert Shelton praised the show’s addition.

“”We are extremely excited about this collaboration,”” Shelton said. “”UApresents is vital to the quality of life here in Tucson and on campus.””