The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

84° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat

    A UA student’s backpack was stolen from the men’s locker room of Bear Down Gym, 1428 E. University Blvd., on July 16.

    The student had covered his backpack, which contained his textbooks, car keys, cell phone and laptop, with his shirt before he went to take a shower. He told the police that only one other man was in the room at the time. He described the man as about 45 years old with short gray hair.

    The student told police that, after showering, he saw the older man walk by the restroom area, glancing into where the student was shaving. The only reason for the man to have been walking in that direction was to shower, which he appeared to have done already.

    The police tried to locate the man through the number of the locker he had been using, but were told that the lockers are used on a first-come, first-served basis.

    University of Arizona police and the Tucson Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Comstock House, 1451 N. Warren Ave., at around 2 a.m. July 15.

    White smoke filled the hallways, but there were no heat or flames.

    Using a thermal imaging camera, TFD was able to locate the source of the smoke as a compressor in the basement. The compressor’s temperature registered at more than 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

    The compressor was turned off, and then TFD ventilated the building with fans.

    A 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer sped away from police during a traffic stop near East Sixth Street and North Warren Avenue as an officer approached it at around 7 a.m. July 15.

    The car, which police had pulled over for rolling through a red light, appeared to have two passengers and had custom spinners on the wheels.

    As the police officer reached the back of the car, it sped away and turned south on North 13th Street. The officer did not pursue.

    Later that day, at around 4:45 p.m., the Trailblazer was found abandoned in an alley near East 13th Street and South Santa Rita Avenue.

    Attempts to contact the registered owner were unsuccessful, and the car was towed.

    Police arrested two men for underage drinking after they were pulled over for making an illegal left turn near North Tyndall Avenue and East Sixth Street in a white 2000 Honda Accord at around 2 a.m. July 14.

    The driver, 20, claimed that he was not drinking because he was a diabetic and cared about his health, despite the fact that the officer smelled alcohol coming from the car.

    When asked to do a field sobriety test, the driver agreed, saying he could prove that he had not been drinking. He failed the test and was taken to the University of Arizona Police Department station.

    At the station, his blood-alcohol content was measured at 0.097. When told of the results, the man admitted to drinking at a keg party he had just left. He was cited for failure to observe a traffic-control device, underage drinking, DUI and DUI with a BAC of more than 0.08, and was then released to a friend.

    Before his trip to the police station, he informed officers that his passenger was also underage and had been drinking.

    The passenger, also 20, first denied drinking alcohol, then admitted to drinking six or seven red party-style cups of beer at the keg party.

    The man was cited and released to his parents at the scene.

    A student reported several incidents of telephone harassment July 13.

    The student reported that Nationwide Credit, a debt-collection agency, had called the student on June 29 around noon and began asking her to verify the last four digits of her Social Security number.

    Uncomfortable with the question, she told the caller not to call again. After searching the Internet, the student told police she found “”numerous complaints”” against the agency for aggressive calling and possible fraud.

    From June 29-July 13, Nationwide left eight messages on the student’s cell phone, and she said her father had told her of several calls to their home in Michigan.

    The student told police that she wanted to press charges if the calls continued.

    The UAPD officer called Nationwide Credit and spoke to a manager, advising him that the student’s readiness to press charges and of the national Do Not Call database.

    The manager said her file did not show that she did not want contact, but agreed to “”personally ensure her name would be added to their company Do Not Call list.””

    The officer told the student to contact police again if the calls resumed.

    A 38-year-old woman was arrested for trespassing after taking a shower at Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall, 621 N. Highland Ave., on July 13.

    The woman, who had been seen in the building the night before by two residents, was reported to police by a Residence Life employee when he found her sleeping in a common study room.

    When police arrived, she was no longer in the study room. The employee said he had found her inside Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., before, but she was always gone after he called police.

    As the officer searched the hallways, he was informed that a woman matching her description had in February been warned for showering in La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave.

    Hearing the sound of a shower running from inside a women’s bathroom at Pueblo de la Cienega, the officer went to get the female hall director. When they returned, they found the woman had gotten dressed.

    She identified herself by name, which matched the one on the warning from February, and said she was a summer student and that the officer was “”bothering her.”” A records check showed she was not affiliated with the university.

    She was arrested and placed in the officer’s car for booking at the Pima County Jail. During the ride there, the woman alternated between asserting she was a summer student and begging to be given a ticket and dropped off “”miles from campus,”” promising not to return, according to reports.

    She was booked into Pima County Jail for first-degree criminal trespassing.

    A man threatened another man with a steering wheel club after the second man allegedly took a parking spot from the first at the lot at 605 N. Highland Ave. just before 5 p.m. July 13.

    Police responded to a call of road rage made by the second man, who gave police a description of the first man and his car’s license plate number. The second man then left to attend a basketball game at Bear Down Gym.

    About a half-hour later, the second man called police again to say that he saw the man who threatened him at the game.

    Police officers responded and spoke with the man, eventually deciding that both parties were at fault. The men were warned against their behavior.

    Both apologized and showed remorse. No one wanted to press charges, and the police saw no criminal violations.

    A UA custodian was caught taking aluminum cans out of campus recycling bins for his own financial benefit at around 1 a.m. July 12.

    A patrolling UAPD officer noticed the employee with a large plastic bag next to a recycling bin near theHenry Koeffler building, 1340 E. University Blvd., at 12:25 a.m. It appeared to the officer that the man was a custodian who was putting the cans into the bin.

    A half-hour later, the officer saw the man walking along the north side of the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., but the bag now had more cans in it than before. The officer checked the recycling bins on the north side of the library and found the aluminum can bin empty, while the paper and plastic bins were still full.

    The officer made contact with the man on the east side of the library, where the man identified himself as a Facilities Management employee, but that he was not on duty.

    The man told the officer that he removes the cans and then sells them to help pay his bills. When asked, he said he did not have authorization to do so.

    The man added that he did not know he was not allowed to take the cans and that he had been doing it for the past 19 years.

    The officer made the man put the cans back into the bin at the library and let him go. Later, the officer asked the station to send a copy of the police report to Facilities Management.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search