ASUA elections: The results are in

%28Illustration+by+Pascal+Albright%29+
(Illustration by Pascal Albright)

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the university’s undergraduate governing body, held elections this week for the 2021-2022 school year. Here are the results for president, executive vice president, administrative vice president and senators. 

President 

According to statistics collected by the ASUA, Noah Vega won the presidency with 62.18% of the vote, a turnout of 942 voters. Rodrigo Robles, who ran against Vega, received 30.03% of the vote. 

Vega, a business economics major from Eller College, previously served as the EVP of ASUA. During his time at the UA, Vega has been involved in Greek Life and the honorary system. He also has experience working as a resident assistant and tour guide. 

Vega’s platform focused on improving campus security, facilitating communication between students and administrators and increasing support for students in need. After weeks of campaigning and months of service, Vega described his reaction to the win as one of both surprise and satisfaction. 

“The results really set in for me this morning when I woke up,” Vega said via email. “While reflecting it really hit me I’m representing 40,000 students at this great campus. I realized I’ve been striving for this goal since the end of my freshman year, when I was appointed to policy director for ASUA.”

Regarding his future plans as president, Vega affirmed his commitment to pursuing key aspects of his platform, including increased Counseling And Psychological Service funding and support for students’ food and clothing needs. 

“Moving from here I’m going to finish my work strong serving as Executive Vice President,” Vega said to the Wildcat via email when asked what to expect next from him. “Plans for presidency is talking with administration about CAPS funding, [and] progressing a basic resource center on campus focusing on students with clothing and food insecurities. I’m excited to take this position on and accomplish the goals I set out on my platform, I just want to thank the student body for putting their trust in me. Bear Down!”

Administrative Vice President and Executive Vice President 

Kyle Kline ran unopposed for administrative vice president and won the position with over 1,200 votes, an overwhelming 83% majority. 6% of voters – 243 individuals – chose a write-in candidate. 

Kline ran on a platform of student empowerment, sustainability and increased accessibility into ASUA for students. Kline is majoring in environmental studies and political science, and they have previous experience in sustainability organizations on campus. 

“I decided to run for AVP after serving as a waste reduction committee co-chair and SFS for two years and getting to do a lot of awesome things on campus, but really seeing a lot of the institutional barriers that the ASUA programs and services have in order to achieve their goals,” they said during the AVP candidate Q&A.  

As AVP, Kline will oversee the creation of new programs, appointing program and organization directors and assisting the president, according to the ASUA constitution

“I plan to reach these goals through an equitable creation of the ASUA House of Representatives that centers cultural centers and marginalized student groups, SFS leadership in the forthcoming campus climate action plan, and publication of all ASUA protocols, internal documents, and meetings that students need to thrive,” Kline said in an email to the Wildcat. “I am extremely humbled to serve in this position for the next year and can’t wait to get to work serving frontline communities across campus.”  

Current College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Senator Alexandra Devereux will be next year’s executive vice president, receiving 49% of the vote – 749 votes. Fellow EVP candidate and current at-large Senator Nora Day received 39% of the vote, while 11% of voters abstained and less than .5% voted for a write-in candidate. 

Devereux stressed the importance of improving communication around campus, between ASUA and students and between ASUA and administration. 

“I feel like there’s this lack of communication,” Devereux said during the EVP debate. “There seems to be a barrier between the people in charge and the people and students who have issues or are in marginalized communities, and I think the biggest thing is creating that connection.” 

Devereux’s responsibilities as EVP include creating subcommittees, assisting the president, coordinating ASUA club funding and more.  

Senators

10 candidates ran for college-specific senate positions during this year’s elections, with six candidates winning the positions uncontested. 

These new senators for 2021-2022 will include Paige Campbell for the College of Nursing, Lauren Heath for the College of Architecture, Elsa Ayon for the College of Education, and Sydney Mathis for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. 

A couple of senators will be continuing their positions next year uncontested, Senator Swathi Ramkumar of the College of Engineering and Senator Jack Haskins of the College of Fine Arts. 

Two college-specific senate races ran competitively, the College of Science and Eller College of Management races. Louise Lalescu beat out Kendra Martinez for the College of Science position with 61% of the votes. Jack Healy won over Joe Ross for Eller College of Management with 48.8% of the votes. 

“I am deeply humbled and honored to have been elected to this prestigious position. I want to thank all of my fellow students who supported me and those who campaigned on my behalf,” said Healy via email on being elected, “I am looking forward to the upcoming semesters, and I am excited to get to work with my fellow students in making Eller, and the University of Arizona as a whole, a home for everyone.”

The Senate At-Large race saw four candidates running for the position, including current Senator At-Large Lady Elli. The new senators-at-large for 2021-2022 will be Giselle Lugo, Jordan-Isaiah Toyos and Senator Lady Elli, continuing her position through next year. They won with 54.19%, 44.95% and 57.49% of the votes, respectively. 

Lugo, a first-time senator, is excited to begin working with the new senate class.

“I want to represent the student body, and their wants, needs, concerns, and insights,” Lugo said via email. “I know that all of the amazing senators and executive members that were elected have that in mind as well, and I can’t wait to start working with them. We’re going to make some positive changes for UArizona this upcoming year, and I can’t wait to be a part of this passionate team making it all happen.”

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter