Day trips out of Tucson

Thinking about leaving Tucson, but not for good? Check out these day trip destinations.

The distance from Tucson to Austin, Texas is about a thousand miles, but is well worth the trip. Austin averages 300 days of sunshine each year. Its official slogan is, “”Live Music Capital of the World.”” With a slogan like that, you know that Austin has a diverse live music scene with more music venues per capita than any other U.S. city. Austin’s music revolves around the many venues on Sixth Street.

Be sure to snap some photos in front of the State Capitol of Texas and visit the Congress Avenue Bridge Bats at dusk, which is the largest urban bat colony in North America. You can also swim in the constant 68-degree waters of Barton Springs Pool or enjoy the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail, a 10.1 mile path bordering the lake on its flow through downtown.

If Austin seems too far, cut your travel time in half by visiting San Diego, Calif., approximately 400 miles away. If you’ve never been there, Balboa Park is a must see with more than 85 cultural and recreational facilities.

If you are willing to travel a few more miles, the city of Coronado is located on an island-like peninsula just south of San Diego. You could drive along the San Diego-Coronado Bridge, but you’ll experience a far more scenic route if you take the ferry from Broadway Pier. Once in Coronado, you’ll find white beaches and unique restaurants and shops.

For art lovers, take a day to visit the Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego. This beautiful museum began in what was once a 1916 Mission-style home. Expansion to the original building was completed in the mid-1990s. Visitors can see a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean from the museum. You can also grab lunch in the Museum Café, which serves gourmet sandwiches, soups and salads as well as beer and wine.

If you need a change of scene in Arizona, travel to places like Sedona, the Grand Canyon, or Bisbee.

Sedona offers some of the strangest tourist options such as visiting one of the many supposed vortex sites. Rumor has it that these vortex sites enhance one’s energy and are great spots for prayer, meditation and healing. Sedona is surrounded by the number one attraction: red rocks. These red rocks are a unique feature to Sedona, and they are so eye-catching that you won’t have to go out of your way to find them. Locals rage about eateries such as Snoopy, Bell Rock and the Coffee Pot.

Sedona also offers great weather for hiking. A must-see spot is the Slide Rocks State Park. Break a sweat hiking, but cool off by exploring the natural water slides.

If you haven’t visited The Grand Canyon, it’s about time you did. The Grand Canyon is about 360 miles away and is the one place you’re more than likely to never visit again. Once you arrive at the Grand

Canyon find Lipan Point. Many visitors claim that Lipan Point offers one of the most spectacular Canyon vistas in the entire park. From here, it will seem that the Canyon stretches out forever displaying the bright orange and red hues of color. Stay long enough to enjoy the sunset and admire the deepest part of the Colorado River in the Canyon. Visit Pancho McGillicuddy’s for dinner. The restaurant is set in a former 19th-century saloon and offers traditional Mexican cuisine.

If you need to keep close to base, take the two-hour drive down to Bisbee, but keep your eyes open or you might miss the exit. Bisbee, built in 1902, is now home to art galleries, antique shops, restaurants and that’s about it. The town might be old, but it’s filled with progressive individuals and retired hippies.

However, it wouldn’t be summer without a baseball game. Bisbee is home to one of the oldest ballparks in the country, Warren Ballpark. The Bisbee Copper Kings practice and play here in June and July.ÿ

But if it’s the heat you want to escape, take a tour of the Copper Queen Mine, which stays at a cool 50 degrees. Be prepared for hat hair though – you’ll be required to wear a hard hat with a miner’s headlamp to enhance your experience as an authentic miner. The headlamp will come in use when you descend into the dark bowels of the mine on a slow-moving tram.