POBEAT: 11/02/16

POBEAT%3A+11%2F02%2F16

Not so peaceful

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a call from the Main Library in regards to an unwanted person being disruptive to staff and students on Oct. 26.

Upon arrival, the officer was told that a female student had been causing problems for them since August.

The student would harass and offend people in the library, and when she was asked to leave, the student became defensive, calling the staff member a “nazi.” 

The student left the building but returned three times before leaving for a final time. The situation had gotten to the point that the staff was afraid to have the student in the library. 

On the morning of Oct. 26, a staff member opened the library but forgot to take the closed sign down. 

The female student came up to her and asked her if the library was closed, to which the staff member replied that they were not.

“Then why is the closed sign up? You need to take it down,” the student responded.

These confrontations with the student have caused staff members to feel very uncomfortable when they see her in the library, making them feel like they need to work around her.

Upon further investigation, the UAPD officer discovered that the student had an exclusionary order with them in 2013.

A new one was completed for the female student and will be issued upon her next contact with UAPD.

Too much too fast

Two UAPD officers responded to the Main Library in reference to an intoxicated subject yelling and being disorderly on Oct. 24. 

The individual was described as a 60-year-old white male and had been last seen in the courtyard of the Integrated Learning Center. 

With a quick sweep of the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, the officers were unable to locate the individual and returned to the reporting party.

The woman who reported the situation stated that the individual appeared intoxicated and was yelling, which disturbed other patrons. When the woman asked him to stop yelling, he took his headphones off and threw them at her but missed.

Later that night, UAPD officers received a call about a man matching the individual’s description in the area of Fourth Street and Park Avenue. 

The officer found the subject, who was yelling incoherently. The yelling did not appear to be directed at anyone specific. 

When confronted, the man complied with all of the officer’s orders but would switch from calm to yelling in a matter of seconds. 

The subject had three warrants against him and was put under arrest. The individual was also given an exclusionary order from the UA Main Library, to which he complied.