Arizona volleyball drops fourth consecutive game on the road in Washington

Nick Trujillo
Senior Devyn Cross (13) smiles to the crowd during a timeout taken by the Wildcats.

Arizona volleyball finished 0-2 on its road trip to Washington, as they lost to No. 21 Washington State on Friday night and No. 10 Washington on Sunday afternoon.

Washington State:

In the first match of the weekend, the Wildcats fell to No. 21 Washington State by a final score of 0-3. In the first set. Arizona took an early lead, but Washington State came back to take a 17-16 lead. The Cougars withstood a late run by Arizona and took the first set 25-20.

Washington State’s hot start continued into the second set, as they got out to an early 3-2 lead. Arizona battled back and led 5-4, but Washington State would take the lead back at 7-6 and they didn’t look back and won the set 25-18.

The Cougars’ dominance continued into the third and final set. After keeping the score competitive through the first few points, Washington State was able to expand its lead and take home the 25-17 victory. Paige Whipple lead the Wildcats in kills with 13, and Magda Jehlárová from Washington State led all players in blocks with 4.

Washington:

In the second game of the weekend, Arizona fell to No. 10 Washington 1-3 in Seattle, Wash., on Sunday afternoon.

The first set was competitive through the first five points before Washington took control of the set with a 20-12 lead. Arizona battled back and cut the Huskies’ lead to only two points, but their run would prove to be too little too late as the Huskies went on to win the first set 25-23.Washington used its strong finish to the first set to spark a hot start in the second set as they jumped out to a 5-0 lead.

Arizona tried to recover from its early deficit, but the Wildcats were never able to get within striking distance. Washington would comfortably take this set 25-14.In the third set, Washington came out of the gates hot, taking a commanding 10-3 lead.

This time, Arizona was able to right the ship, and after a key block from Devyn Cross, Arizona took a 16-15 lead. Despite a small run late from Washington, the Wildcats were able to control the rest of the set and take the 25-21 win. In the fourth and final set, Washington and Arizona went back and forth as the lead changed hands a total of three times.

Arizona was able to make a comeback early and took an 11-10 lead. Washington was able to respond quickly, recapturing the lead 16-15; after that the Huskies were able to take control of the set and take a 25-18 win. Paige Whipple once again led Arizona in kills with 14.

What’s Next:

The Wildcats will be back in action this weekend as they take on Oregon State on Friday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. and Oregon on Sunday, Oct. 27 at 12 p.m. at McKale Center.

Follow CJ Lala on Twitter.