Police Beat: Feb. 15

Boxed bong above bed

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Sky View Apartments at 1050 E. Eighth St. on Feb. 7 at 1:28 p.m. in reference to a room smelling of marijuana.

When the officer arrived to the apartment complex, he spoke with the community director, who said she was going over check out procedures with one of the residents when she noticed an odor of marijuana in the student’s room. She stated she also saw a bong in the room.

The three residents of the apartment were identified with Georgia, Illinois, and Connecticut driver’s licenses. They each were asked if they knew why the officer was there, and they said they did.

When asked why they thought the officer was there, they all sat down, shrugged their shoulders and looked at one another.

One of the men looked at another and said that “”it”” was in his room. After the officer asked what “”it”” was, the man claimed he did not know.

Another man told the officers that he thought they were there because the apartment “”smelled like pot.”” The three men said they did not know why the room smelled like pot though.

Two of the men allowed the officer to search their rooms, but the man who claimed “”it”” was in his room did not consent.

The community director told the officer that while she was in the man’s room, she saw what looked like a bong in a box on a shelf above his bed. It was a white box with two glass pipes coming out from the top.

Record checks were performed on all three men, and a warrant came back for the man who would not consent to the room search. He was placed under arrest and transported to the Pima County Jail.

All three men had a Code of Conduct referral sent to the Dean of Students.

Ex-roommate goes on theivery excursion

A theft was reported to UAPD at the Cochise Residence Hall on Feb. 8 at 8:46 p.m.

An officer responded to the dorm and me

t with two students who said video games and money were taken from their room.

“”Madden 2010″” and “”Grand Theft Auto IV”” were taken from one student and the other resident had $200 taken from a wallet kept in a lock box under his bed.

Both of the men thought that a former resident, who had moved out of the room two weeks prior, might have stolen the items because he still had a key to the room.

The officer called the former resident, who at first told the officer he had not stolen anything.

After the officer told the man that the residents only wanted their belongings back, he admitted to taking the video games, but not the money.

The man and the officer met at Ninth Street and Highland Avenue so he could return the games, and they spoke about the incident.

After some convincing, the man said that a non-UA friend had been with him in the room and taken the money from the lock-box after prying it open with a knife. He said there was only $60 in the wallet, not $200.

The man told the officer that the man who took the money would not meet with the officer, so he said he would withdraw the $60 from his checking account to pay back the stolen cash.

The officer and the former resident also agreed that $150 dollars would be paid by Mar. 25 for the cost of the damage on the wallet that the money had been in.

The Cochise residents were given Victim’s Rights forms and a Code of Conduct referral was sent to the Dean of Students for the student responsible for the theft.

Lights out at Delta Tau

A member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity reported to UAPD that outside lamps had been broken on Feb. 8 at 12:18 a.m.

A man told police that lights on the south side of the fraternity house were cracked, and that glass panels had been broken.

He also told police that a similar incident happened last semester and that about two weeks prior to the most recent occurrence, light bulbs had been stolen from other lamp pillars.

The cost of the damage was unknown, and there are no suspects or witnesses. The vice president said the fraternity would like to press charges if the person(s) responsible were found.

Strep throat brings down PSP resident

A UAPD officer responded to the Posada San Pedro Residence Hall on Feb. 8 at 9:16 a.m. in reference to a woman lying in the entranceway to the dorm.

The officer met with a UA custodian, who took the officer to where a resident was lying on her side near the entry. The custodian said that Tucson Fire Department paramedics were on their way.

The woman told the officer that she had been sick with strep throat since December and had spent the entire weekend in bed.

She had been leaving the dorm to go to an appointment at the Student Health Center when she became light-headed and decided to lie down because she thought she might faint.

TPD arrived to the scene and took her vitals. When she stood up her pulse dropped, and she got very light headed. The paramedics said that she would need to be taken to the University Medical Center emergency room for further evaluation.

‘Cat’mail

A UAPD officer was called to the Physics building at 1118 E. Fourth St. on Feb. 8 at 11:30 a.m. in response to suspicious mail.

The officer spoke with the head of the department of physics. The man said that all of the physics professors had received envelopes with non-threatening but strange content.

The envelopes had pictures of cats inside and notes saying things such as “”physics is cool.””

There are no witnesses or suspects. All of the envelopes and their content were placed into UAPD property as evidence.