University of Arizona ramps up suicide prevention efforts

Elijah Bia

A sunset photo of the Tucson Sunlink tracks around the education building located on UA campus on Aug. 10, 2020.

The University of Arizona recently launched its Suicide Prevention Initiative website to provide support to students and be a part of destigmatizing conversations about mental health and suicide prevention.

The preexisting Suicide Prevention Initiative “had a website and we knew it could have a bigger impact and be more helpful to people,” said Dr. Leslie Ralph, a psychologist for Counseling and Psych Services. “We had a really big opportunity to extend what we were really doing.”

The online tool offers education and resources for suicide survivors, individuals who have lost someone to suicide, individuals who know suicide survivors and those who want to learn more about suicide prevention and mental health.

The university tried to keep everyone in mind when creating the website. 

“We really thought about what would make this most useable for anybody interested in suicide prevention whether they are a beginner or an expert, whether they are concerned about themselves or somebody else,” Ralph said.

RELATED: OPINION: Recognizing stress on campus

The site’s release comes shortly after the university’s 2021 Health and Wellness Survey revealed that 13% of UA students have seriously considered suicide and 1% have attempted suicide in the past 12 months.

Students looking to get involved can join groups focusing on mental health, share a message of hope as a part of the Hope Message Campaign or get involved in future events such as the Out of the Darkness Walk on Oct. 8.

Campus Health is offering free suicide prevention training to all students, faculty and staff. The 90-minute Zoom sessions are designed to teach participants how to recognize suicidal warning signs, talk to someone you have concerns about and connect those who need resources. 

Help and resources

If you or someone you know is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

• 24/7 Crisis Support Sources: CAPS Support at (520) 621-3334

• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

• Community-Wide Crisis Support: (520) 622-6000 or 1-866-495-6735

*El Inde Arizona is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter