‘2 Across’ a charming train ride to romance

2 Across a charming train ride to romance

During the month of November, The Invisible Theatre is presenting “”2 Across,”” a romantic comedy full of puns and charming adult flirtation. Although this particular theatre seems to be a popular venue for a senior crowd, “”2 Across”” was enjoyable and well-executed. It isn’t just for your Grandmother, it has a wide appeal for anyone looking for a dose of lighthearted live theater.

“”2 Across”” follows two strangers on their 84-minute ride on a San Francisco BART car. Psychologist Janet (Maedell Dixon) is precise, plays by the rules and is taken aback by fellow passenger Josh (David Alexander Johnston) an unemployed man who is the epitome of an adult Peter Pan. The two-person cast managed to keep the audience’s attention throughout the performance by revealing their strong personalities in a battle of wits over the New York Times crossword. Conversation surrounding the puzzle becomes the catalyst for an unexpected romance.

The theater itself is an interesting one. Nestled in a residential setting on First Avenue and Drachman Street, the theatre is small and full of neighborhood character.

The seating capacity is capped at 78 attendees, creating a very quaint and intimate setting. The rows of red seats are thankfully cushioned, as this performance does not have an intermission. Why? Well, the running time of the play follows the exact route of the BART rail system, complete with announcements of the various stops along the way.

The simple set and costumes are realistic, creating a believable setting. The movement of the characters around the railcar is very smart — their swaying motions and constant grip on the isle seat or pole makes the audience believe they are actually traveling. However, the attitudes and positions of the characters shift toward the end of the play in a way that seems too abrupt. The majority of the play focuses on developing very distinct personalities, only to debunk them at a moments notice.

Overall the play is worth seeing and would be a great excuse for an outing with Grandma. The crossword puzzle metaphor is executed in dynamic way that’s easy to follow, as opposed to a cheesy mishap. Just be prepared for issues relevant to an older audience, such as divorce, watching children become adults and dating at an older age.

The play is by Jerry Mayer and directed by Gail Fitzhugh. “”2 Across”” is a continuation of The Invisible Theatre’s 40th anniversary season. The Invisible Theatre is a non-profit organization that showcases local professional talent and guest artists. For more information visit the website at www.invisibletheatre.com or call 520-882-9721.