Black N’ Blue Hip Hop Crew displays talents on campus

Cyrus Norcross
Black and Blue Hip Hop Dance crew practice their dance routine in front of a mirror at Gittings building on April 12.

Black N’ Blue Hip Hop Crew will host their dance showcase on April 20 with a handful of special guests. 

The team is student-run at the University of Arizona and participates frequently in school events. Black N’ Blue performs at Bear Down Fridays, basketball games, charity events and more. 

”As a team, we work all year to create fun and energetic hip hop pieces that reflect our personalities,” said Rachel Littleton, a UA senior and the president of Black N’ Blue Hip Hop Crew. 

In the show, the audience will see a reflection of the personality that each dancer brings to the performance.

“The audience should expect an energy-packed show that will make you feel like dancing in your seat,” Littleton said. 

RELATED: Fighting injustice through the arts

The dance group performs to popular hip hop songs that most audience members are familiar with and can dance or sing along to, according to Littleton.

The show will consist of every dance piece the group has created this school year. They have been prepping for the show for the entire school year. 

“It gives us the opportunity to put it all together in a show format for our family and friends,” Littleton said. 

Adia Watson, a UA sophomore, is a choreographer for the team and is in charge of putting together all of their music and dances for performances. 

“I also help coordinate all of the open classes we host for students,” Watson said. 

At the group’s monthly open classes, people outside of the company can come and learn a 30-second to one-minute dance. The team leads warm-ups, teaches the dance and gives time at the end to perform the dance multiple times. 

People from all over the community come to their open classes, including local dance teams and studios. 

Watson is no stranger to dancing. She was a dancer before coming to the UA and came to campus unaware of Black N’ Blue. 

“I remember my freshman year, one of my friends told me about the team and made me go to the first open class to try it out,” Watson said. 

She wasn’t expecting it to be so popular when she went. It was full of students, dancers and non dancers. 

RELATED: Pop-up student art show displays talents and behind the scene drives

“I thought it was going to be a relaxed environment and almost empty class because most college students don’t go out of their way to go dance,” Watson said.

After seeing the team perform and seeing how excited everyone was to dance, Watson realized this is something she wanted to be apart of.

Black N’ Blue also provided Watson a place to meet new friends with a common interest. 

The group have practices two to three times a week to bond with each other and work on their dance pieces. Black and Blue has 24 members and holds auditions in the beginning of each new academic year. 

The group hopes that this showcase will not only entertain the audience, but also raise awareness of the team and gets more students to participate in their open classes and audition. 

The showcase will be at 7 p.m. in Social Sciences Room 100 and is free. 

“We all love to dance and perform, and being able to do that while also representing the UA is what makes being a part of this team to awesome,” Littleton said.

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter