Soccer earns first win of the season

After four attempts, the Arizona soccer team, led by sophomore Renae Cuellar’s two goals, finally notched its first victory of the season in a 2-1 victory over Old Dominion University on Sunday. Despite the victory, the Wildcats (1-3-1) remained inconsistent, which has been the case in their first five games of the season.

Arizona head coach Dan Tobias said he would like to see his team take advantage when opponents appear rattled because of their scoring chances or possession.

“”When we were up 2-0 in Sunday’s game, I would have liked to see us get that third goal to be more in charge of the game,”” Tobias said. “”The next step for us is to recognize when our opponents are struggling and take advantage.””

Despite the Wildcats early 2-0 lead, the lack of their killer instinct was evident as the Monarchs were allowed to score in the 50th minute. Arizona focused on holding off the Monarchs for the final stretch of the game.

Having Cuellar back for the weekend after sitting out the team’s last home game against the University of San Diego helped the team tremendously. She scored both of her goals the first half, one in the 11th minute and the other in the 23rd minute.

“”She’s a finisher, she was actually disappointed that she didn’t get the hat trick,”” Tobias said. “”She’s really good and continues to get better in and around the box.

“”She has the potential to lead the conference and goals but she would be the first to tell you that her teammates setting her up play a big role in a lot of her goals,”” he added.

The Wildcats hope that getting more games in the win column can move them in the positive direction for the rest of the season.

“”When you’re doing things but you’re not getting the results, it’s hard to have confidence,”” Tobias said. “”Sunday’s game was good for our morale and is a good springboard going into Friday.””

The Wildcats will take on Brown University on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Murphey Stadium.