UPDATED: UA law classes canceled last minute for the day

Desiree Guerrero
The James E. Rogers College of Law, located on E Speedway Boulevard, was founded in 1915. The College of Law was the first law school that opened in Arizona.

*Editor’s Note: The article has been updated as of 10:05 p.m. on April 10, with the most recent info.

All afternoon and evening classes at the James E. Rogers College of Law were canceled today, Tuesday, April 10. Rumors circulated quickly that this was due to a threat against the department. The University of Arizona confirmed several hours after the announcement that these rumors were false.

Jason Kreag, associate dean for academic affairs and professor of law, announced the cancellation to students in an email just before noon.

“We apologize for the short notice, but we write to let you know that we’ve made the decision to cancel all afternoon and evening classes at the College of Law today, April 10,” Kreag’s email said. “We will send an additional update by this evening. We appreciate your understanding.”

The Twitter account @whatsuptucson suggested that classes were canceled due to a threat to the law department.

Around 2:40 p.m., @whatsuptucson account posted a screenshot of a D2L announcement from law and psychology professor Tammi Walker, who canceled class and advised students to stay clear of the law school. 

“The issue is that there is a threat at the law school (where my office is located) and they have canceled all law school classes and meeting for the afternoon and evening. It also looks like it would be best if we all leave the building. So […] I’m going [to] leave campus. As far as I know, this is just out of an abundance of caution, but I think we’d all rather be safe than sorry,” Walker stated in the announcement.

The Daily Wildcat reached out to the UA’s communications department for more information.

“There was not and is not a direct threat at this time,” said Pam Scott, the school’s associate vice president of external communications.

Scott also said College of Law classes will be held online for the next two days, Tuesday, April 11, and Wednesday, April 12.

No other details have been given as to why classes were canceled in the first place.

Follow Kristijan Barnjak on Twitter