Arizona softball to play the University of Oregon in Eugene

Jackie Cabrera

The Arizona softball team huddles up during the game against UCLA on April 15 in Hillenbrand Stadium. The Wildcats went on to lose the game 8-4.

The Arizona softball team will travel to Eugene, Oregon, for their final road trip of the year this weekend. They will play in a three-game series against the University of Oregon beginning Friday night at 7:30 p.m. in a nationally televised showdown. The Wildcats will continue the weekend on Saturday at 4 p.m. and Sunday at noon.

Arizona is coming into the series at 25-18 (3-12 in Pac-12 play) and is in eighth place in the conference while Oregon is coming in at 28-11 (8-7 in Pac-12 play) and is fifth in the conference.

This week, Arizona snapped their six-game losing streak as they defeated non-conference in-state rival Grand Canyon University 8-3 in Phoenix on Wednesday night.

The Wildcats are still looking to snap their month-long, 10-game Pac-12 losing streak after not winning a conference game since March 18, when they defeated the University of Utah 10-9 in extra innings. Since then, they have been swept by three top-10 teams in the No. 9 University of Washington, No. 7 Stanford University and most recently No. 2 UCLA. Arizona is one more bad weekend away from finding itself in last place in the conference.

Arizona will need strong performances from its pitchers, especially ace Devyn Netz, as the Wildcats’ pitching staff allowed 30 runs in the three games against UCLA. Their key to winning is to grab the lead first, as a lot of their struggles have resulted from going down early.

After this weekend, they will finish up the last two weeks of the regular season at home with series against Oregon State University and the University of California Berkeley. They will then host the first ever Pac-12 Tournament, where an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament is up for grabs. The Wildcats need to finish the season strong to try and secure an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Follow Madison Carney on Twitter