Arizona softball’s woes continue after being swept by Washington

Olivia Malone

Arizona Softball’s Jasmine Perezchica takes a slap hit against New Mexico State at the game on March 15 at Hillenbrand Stadium. Her hit advanced a runner to secure one of Arizona’s 10 points.  

The No. 20 Arizona softball team traveled to Seattle this weekend for a three-game series against the No. 9 University of Washington. The Wildcats walked away empty-handed after being swept by the Huskies.

The Wildcats were 20-9 overall (3-3 in Pac-12 play) going into this series — making for a perfect opportunity to pick up key wins against a top-10 team and stay within striking distance of the top of the conference standings. However, the Huskies spoiled the opportunity and made their chances of securing another regular season conference title even slimmer.

Game 1: Friday, March 24, at 5 p.m. and Saturday, March 25, at 2 p.m.

In the series opener on Friday, March 24, the weather conditions made hitting difficult as both teams managed only one base runner each until the top of the third inning before the rain forced the game to be postponed.

After resuming the game on Saturday, March 25, the Wildcats had their first opportunity to score in the fourth inning when they put two on base but failed to put a run up. The Huskies responded one inning later by taking a 2-0 lead on back-to-back RBI-doubles.

Arizona cut that lead in half when utility player Allie Skaggs scored from third base on a wild pitch. Skaggs led the inning off with a line-drive single up the middle.

Washington finalized the score with another RBI-double in the bottom of the sixth inning, ending the game. The Wildcats lost 3-1.

Game 2: Saturday, March 25, at 4 p.m.

In the second game on Saturday, the Wildcats hoped to get their bats to wake up and even the series.

It looked good at first, as they quickly jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning on an RBI-single from Devyn Netz. The advantage was short-lived, as the Huskies hit a solo home run in the bottom of the inning to even the score. After a 2-run home run in the second inning, Washington held a 3-1 lead.

Arizona managed to tie up the score at 3-3 after RBI hits from Dakota Kennedy and Olivia DiNardo.

The game shifted into a pitchers’ duel as the score remained tied for four innings. This was until the Huskies hit a walk-off solo home run in the bottom of the seventh, defeating the Wildcats 4-3. Skaggs matched a season-high four walks in the game.

Game 3: Sunday, March 26, at 12 p.m.

After two grueling defeats, the Wildcats went into Sunday’s series finale looking to salvage a win and avoid a series sweep.

The game began similarly to game two, with both teams exchanging runs in the first inning. The score remained 1-1 until the fifth inning when Arizona took a 3-1 lead, but they couldn’t hold it. Washington tied it again with a 2-run home run. Arizona pitcher Netz sent the game into extra innings, still tied 3-3 after retiring eight straight Husky batters.

In the top of the eighth, the Wildcats took a 4-3 lead on a base hit by Tayler Biehl, but it was not enough to win. The Huskies ended the game in the bottom of the inning with a 3-run home run, winning on another walk-off. Arizona lost the third game in the series 6-4.

The Wildcats now sit at 20-12 overall and 3-6 in conference play. They are tied for sixth place in the Pac-12 with the University of Oregon. They will return home on Friday, March 31, and look to get back to their winning ways when they host non-conference opponents Georgetown University and the University of San Diego for the Bear Down Fiesta tournament.

Rankings:

The Wildcats have since fallen to No. 24 in the AP Poll as of Wednesday, March 29.

Follow Madison Carney on Twitter