ASUA Notebook 04/12/23: A first look at the UA Bookstore’s new program, Pay One Price, and a statement from ASUA about the anti-abortion demonstration on campus

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

New programs coming to the UA Bookstore

On Wednesday, April 12, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate invited a guest speaker, Cindy Hawk, who is the assistant director at the UA bookstore, to their meeting. She spoke about updates that will soon be put into motion for Inclusive Access.

Inclusive Access is a program offered by the university that provides students with access to digital course materials on the first day of classes at a reduced cost. Textbooks, readings and other course materials are offered through this program. However, there have been some issues with this program, such as limited options for students, access to materials outside the platform and cost savings not being sufficient.  

Pay One Price is the newest program by the UA Bookstore that will be launching in fall 2023 for undergraduate students. This program’s goal will be to provide undergraduate students, regardless of their major, with a fixed cost of $250 per semester for their materials. Summer materials will be $125, and students could opt out by term. 

“This flat rate includes every book you need for the entire semester. You pay for it all upfront; it is a one-time thing. The $250 will also be going to your bursar account as you can pay how you usually do,” Hawk said.

A major benefit of this program is its uniformity, as materials will be the same price no matter what a student’s major may be. The cost is a predictable price that can be paid using financial aid and access is easy and convenient. 

Addressing anti-abortion demonstrations on the UA Mall

There were no updates on any new or old reports at the meeting. However, the senators did speak about the demonstrations that took place on the UA Mall last week. The UA College Republicans United, a student organization, sponsored the demonstration that featured many graphic anti-abortion signs which caused an uproar among students. 

Many students questioned the senators, asking how a group like this could be granted approval by ASUA. At their meeting, the senate responded to some of these questions.

“I want to lay out to you all, for the sake of transparency, how somebody and something like this is approved, why the College Republicans are allowed to have such a big demonstration and how ASUA is responding. The final approval for events like these doesn’t fall on ASUA,” ASUA Student Body President Patrick Robles said. 

He then wants to clarify how College Republicans United is not affiliated in any way with ASUA, though they are an approved club by ASUA, which approves any club having eight members, $100 and a written constitution. 

“We do not bar people or cannot dictate what the purpose of the club is as long as they do not cause any physical violence to other students,” Robles said. “I want to make it clear we cannot stop events like these, we do not support them. This group has not received any monetary funding or support from ASUA for this event. We actively support organizations that support ASUA’s mission in creating an inclusive campus and we do this with our programs […] and events and programming that create a safe and inclusive space”. 

The senate will meet again next Wednesday, April 19, at 6 p.m. in the Pima room of the Student Union Memorial Center.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter