From STEM major to future physician: Anthony Nuñez Romero’s journey to graduation

Anthony Nuñez Romero is a graduating senior pursuing a career in the STEM field. He is optimistic about his future following his graduation in May. (Courtesy of Anthony Romero)

As the end of the semester approaches, Anthony Nunez Romero, a STEM major who is on the verge of graduating in just a few weeks, discussed the difficult but remarkable journey he has ventured over the last four years. He shared insightful experiences, goals for the future and advice for future students interested in the STEM field.

Nunez Romero is majoring in physiology and medical sciences, with a minor in biochemistry. These fields provided him with a strong foundation in the study of the human body as well as a comprehensive understanding of human health and disease. 

Upon graduating, he plans to work in a research lab, studying bone regeneration therapies. 

Bone regeneration therapies are medical treatments aimed at the growth and repair of bone tissue. This could be achieved either by using advanced technologies or through the natural healing process. This experience will allow Anthony to apply his knowledge and skills to this practice and serve as a stepping stone for his long-term career goals. 

Nunez Romero’s ultimate goal will be to attend medical school where he would become a licensed physician which will allow him to help patients from all different backgrounds. 

“I have always found myself attracted to medicine and the unique interactions it offers between the provider and patient,” Nunez Romero said. “I also value leadership and would like to one day mentor students who are trying to achieve their dreams as well.”

During college, Nunez Romero said he learned many valuable lessons about perseverance and personal growth. 

“Failure is often required in order to learn and grow,” Nunez Romero said. “It is hard to grow as a person if you have never experienced rock bottom, whether that be academically or personally. I also learned that it is okay to ask others for help if you are struggling in any area of your life. College is already hard enough so there is no need to force yourself to go through rough times alone.” 

Pursuing a STEM degree can be a  challenging experience and many other students majoring in this field can agree. With the rigorous coursework, extensive assignments and tests and frequent labs, it can become overwhelming, so as Nunez Romero stated, it is okay to lean on others for help and that at times failure can coexist with success. 

Nunez Romero had this advice to give to any students who are currently or interested in being a STEM major: 

“It is hard but not impossible,” he said. “If I could redo everything, I would take advantage of all the resources that the school has to offer such as [Supplemental Instruction] sessions, office hours, tutoring, CAPS, Campus Pantry, Campus Closet, and more. Many of these resources are free and can make college so much easier as long as you are willing to put in the effort. Above all else, I would tell future students to practice gratitude daily.” 

By focusing on the opportunities and growth that a situation can bring, a student’s mindset can become more resilient which in turn can help them become a stronger individual when navigating difficult times. 

Throughout his college years, Nunez Romero has actively participated in numerous extracurricular activities that allowed him to gain experience and even more knowledge about his field. For all four years of school, he was in Flying Samaritans and was most recently co-president. 

Becoming co-president taught him a lot about “leadership, patience, and providing patient care with limited resources.” He has also participated in research at the Orthopedic Research Laboratory under Dr. David Margolis and Dr. John Szivek. 

“This was by far one of my favorite experiences since I learned to not be afraid to ask questions and how to work with others on difficult projects. I was also a volunteer at Tu-Nidito for the past four years where I worked with children suffering from the loss of a loved one,” Nunez Romero said. “ I believe this experience taught me a lot about empathy and patience as well. Learning how to manage grief varies greatly depending on the person and their circumstances, so there is always something to learn about.”

Nunez Romero expressed excitement about the next stage in his life following graduation.

“I am very excited to be graduating. I am always looking for the next challenge so I am sure that this year of opportunity will be full of learning experiences. I want to experience and see all the new things life has set out for me,” Nunez Romero said.

As he reflected on his college experience, he said he can feel gratitude for the impactful years he has had at the UA.

“Although I was very stressed during these past four years, I had a great time at the University of Arizona and would not have wanted to be stressed out anywhere else. These were the most transformative four years of my life and I do not regret a thing,” Nunez Romero said. “The dream is to become a physician, but if that doesn’t work out, I will try to carry my ambitiousness elsewhere.”

Nunez Romero also expressed his heartfelt appreciation and gratitude to his family members for their unwavering support over the years, as well as to the Helios Education Foundation for sponsoring his undergraduate degree. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter