Local group Survivor Shield hosts market to support survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence

Cole Fields

Local group Survivor Shield hosted an art market on Saturday, April 1, the proceeds of which were donated to survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence.

An art market held on Saturday, April 1 donated all proceeds to victims of sexual assault and domestic violence in Tucson. The event, which was hosted by Survivor Shield, a local nonprofit “dedicated to changing the perception of sexual assault, supporting survivors, and spreading awareness on crucial issues,” invited artists from around the area, both publicizing their art and raising awareness for a cause. 

The market was put up just east of Swan Road on Speedway Boulevard at a local antique store warehouse. 

From rattlesnake jewelry to pop culture prints, there was quite the selection at the market, which was organized by Jake Martin, the president of Survivor Shield and a sophomore at the University of Arizona. 

The proceeds from the event went directly to financially supporting those suffering from sexual assault through Survivor Shield, which Martin founded in 2021. 

“When Survivor Shield started, I had a $200 paycheck from Allstate, and I said, ‘We’re using this to start a nonprofit’,” said Martin. 

Martin started the nonprofit when he realized there was not much support in our area for the financial needs of sexual assault victims. He wanted to provide an easy and discreet way for survivors to get money for the things they need.

“Survivors come on the website. It’s a one to two-minute application process, and we can respond to them within 24 hours, and I don’t think it’s ever been more than 48 hours before these survivors got money into their pockets,” said Martin.

Plans to expand the scope of the organization are in the works, according to Martin. They are reaching out into Texas, New Mexico and California, as well as looking to reach a larger area of Tucson. Martin also plans to have more frequent events like this one.  

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter