ASUA Notebook 03/29/23: Senate releases statement on PAX security report

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

On Thursday, March 30, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona released a statement on the PAX Group, LLC report on campus safety. It includes a list of actions that the student government would like the university to take to ensure safety and accountability on campus.

ASUA is asking for adequate funding and staffing for Counseling and Psychological Services, institutional guidelines for crisis response, support for the Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences and equitable access to a mechanism for students to voice their concerns on campus safety. It also asked that the university take into consideration the perspectives of marginalized communities.

“We realize that there are roughly 4 weeks left of school, however, we still believe there is ample opportunity for compassionate action from the University administration to ensure a safer campus for all. ASUA executive leadership is committed to working with all stakeholders to ensure our administration is held accountable,” the report said.

The report comes after the UA’s Faculty Senate passed a vote of no confidence against UA President Dr. Robert C. Robbins and his administration for their response to the shooting of a UA professor.

Club funding and recognition

The ASUA appropriations board distributed over $47,000 at its last meeting, exhausting its funds for the year. It will no longer be accepting funding requests from ASUA-affiliated clubs and organizations.

Club recognition for the 2023-2024 school year will open Monday, April 3.

New executives

Alyssa Sanchez, the 2023-24 student body president and Sara Kandel, the incoming administrative vice president, were present at Wednesday’s meeting. They introduced themselves to the senate and expressed excitement about their new roles.

The transition to next year’s administration will take place throughout the remainder of the semester.

“Over these next few weeks as the school year wraps up, they will be in the office a lot more transitioning, shadowing us, learning about everything that the current executives are working on and how the office structure works in general,” current Administrative Vice President Lauryn White said.

Eddie Barron, who currently serves on ASUA President Patrick Robles’s staff, will also join the team as the next executive vice president.

The senate will meet again next Wednesday, April 5, at 6 p.m. in the Pima room of the Student Union Memorial Center.

Follow Kristijan Barnjak on Twitter