Preview: Arizona soccer home opener vs. GCU

Caleb Villegas
Wildcats pumping each other up with a group huddle before the game against Oklahoma on Friday, Sept 6 at Mulcahy Stadium. The final score was 2-0 win.

The Arizona soccer team is off to a rough start in the 2023 regular season.  The Wildcats lost both away games against Pepperdine University and Iowa State University, each with a score of 2-1. The first goal of the season was scored by Sami Baytosh against Pepperdine in the 65th minute. The second goal of the season was scored by forward Nicole Dallin during the 10th minute of the game against Iowa State.

Head coach Becca Moros’ roster features 23 returning players from the previous season, along with one transfer and seven incoming freshmen. The team’s three captains selected for the 2023 season are Dallin, goalkeeper Hope Hisey and midfielder Megan Chelf.

Mariah Dunn and Hisey were granted an additional year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing them to return as fifth-year seniors. Both players are leaders on the team who exert their influence on the field through their remarkable athleticism.

Arizona’s first home game this season will take place against GCU on August 24 at 7 p.m. at the Mulcahy Soccer Stadium.

In the Wildcats last matchup with GCU, the Antelopes defeated Arizona 1-0. This upcoming game should be a closely contested match, with the Wildcats looking to bounce back from last week and get their first win of the season.

Follow Delaney Penn on Twitter