Arizona soccer goes on the road for its final two away games of the season

Jay Corella
Nicole Dallin (23) of the Arizona Wildcats dribbles while defender Alyssa Gonzalez attempts to defend during their match at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium in Tucson on Oct. 22. USC’s aggressive defense led to the game concluding with a 1-1 tie.

This week, the Arizona soccer team travels to Boulder, Colorado to play the University of Colorado on Thursday, Oct. 26 and then they will face off against the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, in their final away game on Sunday, Oct. 29.

The Wildcats are going into this week with hopes to bring in victories before their season comes to an end on Friday, Nov. 3.

Arizona vs. Colorado

On Thursday, Oct. 26, at 6 p.m. Arizona will be taking on Colorado at Prentup Field in Boulder, Colorado. Arizona (4-7-5) and Colorado (10-4-3) are both winless in at least five straight games up to this point, and they’re both coming off a 1-1 tie to USC in the past two weeks. 

History vs. Colorado

Since 2011, Arizona has played Colorado 11 times, resulting in a 2-5-4 record. Last year’s match resulted in an Arizona 2-0 victory with goals by Nicole Dallin and Olivia Bride. The Wildcats played a strong offensive game, with a shot total of 20, 7 of them being on goal. They also had a great defensive game, with only 6 Buffaloes shots on goal, ending in a shutout.

Arizona will look to bring out the heat once again in this match and build on their recent success against Colorado.

Arizona vs. Utah

For Sunday, Oct. 29’s game it will be a matchup against Utah at Ute Soccer Field in Salt Lake City Utah, at 11 a.m. Utah (5-6-6) has only one win so far in October. 

History vs. Utah

Since 2011, Arizona has played Utah 11 times. In that time they are 5-5-1, with their last time facing the Utes coming last season in a 2-1 defeat. This game took place at Ute Soccer Field, with Utah goals scored by Tailana Kaufusi and Maryn Granger. The one Arizona goal was scored in the 14th minute, by Gianna Christiansen with an assist by Sami Baytosh. After this goal, Utah tightened its defenses and only allowed one more Arizona shot for the rest of the game. 

If Arizona hopes to secure another win this year, they must be prepared for Utah to come in with a strong defensive performance again and make a game plan around that.

Wildcats to watch

In both of these games, fans should look out for goalkeeper Hope Hisey, and offensive players Dallin and Christiansen. As the end of the season is closing in, if the Wildcats want to finish on strong wins, Dallin and Christiansen are going to have to utilize their strengths in applying pressure to defense and taking risks to make shots on goal. 

Hisey has had a very strong season with incredible saves, and she just hit a new milestone by tying the program record of total career saves, at 345. Expect another strong game from her, and this week will possibly bring her to surpass the program record.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X