Palestine supporters march on the UA Mall: ‘1, 2, 3, 4, occupation no more!’

Ben Tisdale
A protestor holds a sign saying “Free Palestine” at the National Student Walkout on the Mall on the University of Arizona Campus on Oct 25. A group of protestors walked around the mall during to support Palestine.

A group of community members and University of Arizona students supporting Palestine marched the length of the UA Mall Oct. 25, carrying signs and chanting things like “1, 2, 3, 4, occupation no more! 5, 6, 7, 8, Israel is a terrorist state!”

This small group started marching at noon and dispersed when they reached Old Main at about 12:15 p.m.

“We just want to stop the violence and help these people,” said the leader of this demonstration, who asked to remain anonymous.

In light of the recent events concerning the violence in Israel and the Gaza Strip, many students and Tucson residents have taken to the streets to show their support, or lack thereof, for the different parties involved in this conflict. 

The latest of these demonstrations, in support of Palestine, consisted of this small group of UA students and adults who walked down the Mall, past the off-campus housing fair, and ended at Old Main, where the students quickly dispersed. 

A few adults lingered, thanking each other for partaking in the demonstration, shaking hands and asking each other questions. 

“We just want to stop the violence. So far, 7000 people have been killed, 3000 of them children, and five hospitals have been bombed. So was the third oldest church,” the leader of the demonstration said. “One of the bombed hospitals was a baptist church. They have no food, no water, no fuel. We just want to help these people.”

A few of these demonstrators wore masks and interacted only with each other, taking no recognition of the people that they passed on their way to Old Main. Though they consisted of a small group, their chants were loud and carried across the Mall. When asked what they were supporting, members simply responded with “Palestine” or “the people of Palestine.”

Additionally, a student involved in the demonstration who asked to remain anonymous mentioned that there was a coalition on Oct. 25 at 6 p.m. for people to show support and learn more about the cause. 

Demonstrators left the students of the University of Arizona with one final message: “Help these people. Free Palestine.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter (X)