Arizona volleyball looks to end its losing against No. 3 Stanford and California

Mason Kumet
Arizona’s Haven Wray serves the ball to USC in the final game of their match in McKale Center on Oct. 8. The Arizona team will go on to play Oregon this week.

The Arizona volleyball team is returning to McKale Center for its upcoming matchups this week. The Wildcats are currently on a five-game losing streak in the past two weeks and 6-15 on the season. This week, they will face No. 3 Stanford University on Friday, Oct. 27, at 6 p.m., followed by a match against the University of California Berkeley on Sunday, Oct. 29, at noon.

Game 1: Stanford – Friday, Oct. 27, at 6 p.m.

Arizona’s last match against Stanford was earlier this season on Sunday, Oct. 1, when the Wildcats lost 3-0. The set scores were 25-8, 25-14 and 25-23. The Wildcats had 30 kills, while Stanford had 49 kills.

Stanford (17-2, 10-0 in Pac-12 play) sits comfortably in first place in the conference.

Stanford’s most recent game was against the former No. 8 University of Oregon on Sunday, Oct. 22. Stanford won 3-1 with game sets of 25-23, 25-22, 22-25 and 25-19.

History vs. Stanford 

The Wildcats are 11-73 versus Stanford all-time, dating back to 1977. The Wildcats’ longest losing streak was 22 matches from 1982 to 1993. As of now, the Wildcats hold a three-game losing streak against Stanford.

Game 2: Cal – Sunday, Oct. 29, at noon

Arizona and Cal’s last matchup was also earlier this season on Friday, Sept. 29. The Golden Bears won this matchup 3-1. The set scores were 24-26, 20-25, 25-20 and 18-25. The Wildcats had a total of 41 kills, and the Golden Bears had 52. Cal’s hitting percentage and blocks were significantly higher than Arizona’s.

The Golden Bears (14-7, 3-7 in Pac-12 play) sit at ninth place in the conference.

Cal’s most recent game was against Oregon State University on Sunday, Oct. 22. Cal won 3-2 with game sets of 17-25, 25-11, 21-25, 25-21 and 15-13.

History vs. Cal

The Wildcats are 47-28 all-time against the Golden Bears. From 2021 to 2022, the Wildcats possessed a six-game winning streak against the Golden Bears. In total, the Wildcats have a .202 hitting percentage, while the Golden Bears have a .228 percentage, only a .026 percentage difference.

Wildcats to watch

Seniors Sofia Maldonado Diaz, with 278 kills, and Jaelyn Hodge, with 219 kills, currently lead the team in kills on the season. Maldonado Diaz also has 194 digs. Ana Heath, the key defender, leads the team with 198 digs.

Looking ahead

The Wildcats will look to bounce back against Stanford and Cal this week before they head back on the road to Los Angeles to face off against USC on Friday, Nov. 3, at 7 p.m.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X