ASUA Notebook 10/25/23: Volunteer events, statement in support of student safety

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona’s weekly senate meeting on Wednesday contained the usual updates on club funding, plans for their senate retreat and upcoming volunteering projects.

First, College of Pharmacy Senator Megan Wong discussed her college’s Campus Closet donation drive from Oct. 30 until Nov. 6, encouraging others to donate clothes to the cause. 

Administrative Vice President Sara Kandel briefed the senate on further community service, including a Campus Pantry fundraiser at Scented Leaf on Nov. 2 and several events for Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, which starts on Nov. 11. Kandel noted ASUA’s consistent work to support the Campus Pantry and their work to reduce food insecurity on campus.

“It would be so great to see that support continue, especially in this really event-packed week,” Kandel said.

Events on Nov. 17 for Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week include a food bank volunteering event and an annual Campus Pantry fundraiser at local brewery MotoSonora. Senators are also planning to volunteer later in November to package food for Thanksgiving for students on campus during the break. 

Lastly, Kandel informed the senate of an upcoming focus group from Counseling & Psych Services that aims to educate participants  about student perceptions of mental health care on campus and encouraged senators to participate. 

ASUA President Alyssa Sanchez promoted ASUA events including the Day of Remembrance on Nov. 6 and the drag show hosted by Wildcat Events Board last week. Sanchez also stated that ASUA has been in communication with the UA chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine and would release a statement about student safety. 

“We have actively been having conversations with them and fostering good community with them,” Sanchez said.

The following day, ASUA posted their statement to Instagram, in a press release entitled “ASUA Statement of Support for Student Safety.” The statement was critical of the Oct. 11 email from President Dr. Robert C. Robbins that caused SJP to cancel a scheduled protest and called for the university to facilitate open communication and better protect its students. 

“We encourage students to come together and participate in any peaceful demonstrations,” the statement said. “It is through open dialogue and engagement that we can better understand one another and work towards positive change.”

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter (X)