Metalcore and deathcore clash in Tucson in We Came As Romans show

Frankie+Palmeri+%28front%29+and+Zach+Allard+%28back%29+of+the+American+metalcore+band+Emmure+perform+live+at+Encore+on+Nov.+7.+The+show+was+almost+sold+out.+
Jadon Rivas
Frankie Palmeri (front) and Zach Allard (back) of the American metalcore band Emmure perform live at Encore on Nov. 7. The show was almost sold out.

We Came As Romans along with Emmure, Bodysnatcher and Archetypes Collide performed in Tucson on Nov. 7 with the “DARKBLOOM II” tour. The bands performed at the Encore, an important hub for Tucson’s rock and metal scene, to an almost sold-out crowd. The Encore offers an intimate small environment and many highly technical lighting fixtures. 

Kyle Pastor, singer for Archetypes Collide, was especially excited to have performed in Tucson.

“I think Tucson has always been notorious for having a great metal and rock scene,” Pastor said. “Every time we come out here, we feel the love here; there’s something special in the water here, and we hear it every time we play. I think for us, the name of the game with heavy metal is, if there’s no energy, then what are you doing? That’s my favorite part, people singing, people moshing. That’s a great time, so we love it here.” 

Archetypes Collide is a Phoenix-based metalcore band that draws inspiration from Linkin Park, Nickelback, Three Days Grace and other late 2000’s rock bands. 

When asked if Archetypes Collide plans to return, Pastor said, “Tucson is always on our radar. We played here about a year and a half ago, and it was sick when we played then, but it’s even sicker now, so it’s a vibe.” 

Archetypes Collide opened for Bodysnatcher and Emmure, two extreme metal bands. Both bands played many of their hits, including “Wired For Destruction” and “Take Me To Hell from Bodysnatcher and “You Asked for it” and “Torch” by Emmure.

Jade Herman is a huge fan of all the bands that were at the show and was extremely excited to have made the two-hour drive to see them all. Herman was no stranger to head-banging and screaming along with the bands, something very common at metal performances. 

“Emmure had a great set,” Herman said. “Bodysnatcher also had an excellent set. I really like them, and I have for quite a bit. I have a friend who is die-hard into them and finally got me to listen to them at one point.” 

Monique Barrios was a little more casual in her listening to the bands that performed, but she still enjoyed her time at the concert. 

“I’ve never really been to a venue this small before. I pretty much enjoyed the whole thing, but when I hear music, I just enjoy it in general, so it was pretty neat,” Barrios said. 

She couldn’t make up her mind when deciding if she liked Emmure or Bodysnatcher’s set more. After these bands performed, We Came As Romans closed the experience with performances from their new album, Darkbloom. Songs from their older albums were also performed, such as “To Plant a Seed” and “Tracing Back Roots.” 

An emotional part of the night was when lead singer Dave Stephens dedicated “Lost in the Moment” to his fellow bandmate, Kyle Pavone, who tragically passed away in 2018 from an accidental drug overdose. The performance was met with emotional singing from the crowd and hand waving to symbolize sympathy with the band.

After the group left the stage, the crowd clamored for, ironically, an encore, which was gifted in the form of a performance of “Black Hole.” Located close to the University of Arizona, check out Encore’s website for more live performances.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter (X)