Arizona volleyball falls at home against Oregon State and No. 6 Oregon

Jackie Cabrera
Arizona volleyball player Sofia Maldonado Diaz prepares to serve the ball against Utah on Nov. 9 in McKale Center. The Wildcats went on to win the game 3-1 against Utah.

The Arizona volleyball team (8-21, 3-15 in Pac-12) was unsuccessful in its weekend matches against Oregon State University on Friday, Nov. 17, and the University of Oregon on Sunday, Nov. 19 in McKale Center. The Wildcats are back on a two-game losing streak after these games.

Friday, Nov. 17: Oregon State (11-17, 6-12 in Pac-12) 

Set results: 22-25, 18-25, 24-26

Set 1: 

Oregon State won the first set, 25-22. The set began with a kill made by the Beavers, Megan Sheridan. Alayna Johnson followed up with a kill as well which tied the score, 1-1. Both teams tied nine times throughout the set. In total, Sofia Maldonado Diaz had five kills while Jordan Wilson acquired three kills.

Set 2: 

The Wildcats lost the second set, 25-18. Ana Heath made the first kill of the set with an assist from Wilson. The first ace of the set was made by Ryan White from Oregon State. Arizona made a total of five blocks, two from Jaelyn Hodge and three from Maldonado Diaz and Nicole Briggs. Hodge led the set with five kills. The Beavers had a total of three aces to win the set.

Set 3: 

The Beavers won set three, 26-14 to complete their sweep. The Wildcats were out-hit and out-blocked by the Beavers. Only one ace was made during set three by Giorgia Mandotti on game point 13-10. The Wildcats had the lead for most of the set but the Beavers persevered and closed out the set after two attack errors from the Wildcats. Wilson acquired four kills with a .429 hitting percentage.

Overall, Arizona only had 34 kills compared to Oregon State’s 41 kills. The Beavers led the match with a hitting percentage of .229 while the Wildcats only acquired a .126 hitting percentage. In total, Oregon made three aces and Arizona only made one throughout the match sets.

Match Leaders: 

Kills: Jaelyn Hodge – 9 

Assists: Ana Heath – 31 

Digs: Haven Wray – 15

Blocks: Nicole Briggs and Sofia Maldonado Diaz – 4 

Sunday, Nov. 19: No. 6 University of Oregon (24-5, 14-4 in Pac-12) 

Set Results: 21-25, 14-25, 21-25

Set 1:

Oregon secured the first set, 25-21. The first play featured an ace by Alayna Johnson, giving the Wildcats a swift 1-0 lead. Maldonado Diaz registered five kills, and Wilson contributed four. Arizona’s hitting percentage stood at .097, contrasting with Oregon’s .379 hitting percentage. The teams tied 10 times, maintaining suspense. Unfortunately, the Wildcats couldn’t maintain their lead as the Ducks claimed the set with 13 kills and one ace.

Set 2:

The Wildcats lost the second set, 25-14. Maldonado Diaz carried the team with six kills. The Ducks collected five blocks. Karson Bacon and Kara McGhee secured two kills each, clinching the set for the Ducks. In total, the Wildcats notched nine kills and eight digs, while Oregon outshined them with 15 kills and 11 digs.

Set 3:

The Ducks won the third set 15-21, completing their sweep in the match. The Wildcats recorded two blocks and two aces, courtesy of Maldonado Diaz and Mckenzie Schoenhardt. Wilson led the Wildcats with five kills, and Maldonado Diaz added three kills in the set. The Ducks secured set three with a kill by Mimi Colyer.

Overall, Oregon accumulated 35 kills compared to Arizona’s 33 kills. Oregon boasted a hitting percentage of .425, a significant .281 difference from the Wildcats’ .144 hitting percentage. The Ducks secured five aces, while Arizona managed three throughout the game sets.

Match Leaders 

Kills: Sofia Maldonado Diaz – 14 

Assists: Ana Heath – 26 

Digs: Giorgia Mandotti – 9 

Next Up: 

This week, Arizona is scheduled to play its final two games of the season against the University of Washington on Wednesday, Nov. 22, at 4 p.m. and ASU on Saturday, Nov. 25, at 5 p.m. The Wildcats are headed to Washington on Wednesday before returning home to host ASU in their senior finale and Senior Day.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X