Arizona volleyball falls to Washington and ASU in its final games of the 2023 season

Giacomo Cain
The Arizona volleyball team congratulates Long Beach State for their victory on Thursday, Sept. 14, in McKale Center. The Wildcats fell 0-3 score.

The Arizona volleyball team (8-23, 3-17 in Pac-12) fell in their weekend matchups against the University of Washington on Wednesday, Nov. 22, and ASU on Saturday, Nov. 25. The Wildcats end their 2023 season on a four-game losing streak. 

Wednesday, Nov. 22: Washington (16-15, 7-13 in Pac-12)

Set results: 25-21, 18-25, 21-25, 22-25 

Set 1: 

The Wildcats secured the initial set with a score of 25-21. Giorgia Mandotti played a crucial role in the set point (5-3) by serving an ace, extending the Wildcats’ lead. Jaelyn Hodge contributed an ace along with five kills, while Sofia Maldonado Diaz and Jordan Wilson added three and two kills, respectively.

Set 2:

Arizona faced a setback in the second set, losing 18-25. The Huskies showcased three aces, while Arizona had none. The Wildcats managed a total of 11 kills, with Nicole Briggs leading at four kills, and Alyana Johnson and Wilson each contributing three kills. The set saw two ties between the teams.

Set 3:

The Huskies claimed the third set with a score of 21-25. In a key moment during the set, Maldonado Diaz secured a kill with an assist from Ana Heath. Both teams were evenly matched, tying 10 times. Arizona’s defense achieved four blocks, and their offense maintained a .152 hitting percentage. The Huskies secured the set victory with two aces.

Set 4:

Arizona faltered in the final set, losing 22-25. Ana Heath set the tone with two served aces at the beginning of the set. Maldonado Diaz contributed another ace at the game point (19-14) and showcased five kills with a notable .380 hit percentage. Hodge added three kills, and Briggs acquired two kills. Despite holding a five-point lead midway through the set, the Wildcats faced a comeback by Washington, resulting in a tie at 22-22. Washington secured the match with three consecutive kills.

Overall, Hodge led Arizona with 14 kills, while Maldonado Diaz contributed 11 kills. Ana Heath surpassed 1,000 total assists for the 2023 season, with 31 of those assists occurring in the match against the Huskies. Washington recorded 53 kills, 4 blocks and 8 aces, while the Wildcats achieved 46 kills, 6 blocks and 5 aces.

Match Leaders: 

Kills: Jaelyn Hodge – 14 

Assists: Ana Heath – 31 

Digs: Giorgia Mandotti – 11 

Blocks: Journey Tucker – 3 

Saturday, Nov. 25: ASU (26-6, 14-6 in Pac-12) 

Set Results: 19-25, 22-25, 20-25 

Set 1: 

Arizona came up short in the first set, losing 25-19. While the points remained close initially, the Sun Devils surged ahead to secure the lead. Johnson contributed three kills, while Maldonado Diaz showcased five kills with an impressive .500 hit percentage. ASU dominated with four aces, whereas Arizona managed only two. Claire Jeter, a Sun Devil, sealed the first set victory with a decisive kill.

Set 2:

The Sun Devils continued their momentum, winning the second set 25-22. The teams tied four times during the set. Arizona maintained a hitting percentage of .212, while ASU boasted a .312 hitting percentage. The Wildcats accumulated 15 kills in set two, with Hodge leading at five kills, Wilson with four and Maldonado Diaz contributing three, along with one kill each from three other players. In comparison, the Sun Devils recorded 13 kills and two aces.

Set 3:

The Sun Devils completed the sweep, securing set three with a score of 25-20. Maldonado Diaz led Arizona with five kills, while Hodge and Wilson both contributed three kills each. ASU displayed a strong performance with 15 kills and 13 digs. Arizona narrowly trailed with a total of 14 kills and 14 digs. Geli Cyr from ASU sealed the set with a decisive kill.

Overall, Maldonado Diaz recorded 13 kills, Hodge had nine and Wilson contributed eight. Both Johnson and Wilson acquired four blocks across the three sets. The Sun Devils totaled 42 kills, while Arizona amassed 40 kills. Despite Arizona’s six blocks and a hitting percentage of .189 with two aces, ASU led with a hitting percentage of .313 and a total of nine aces. Despite a competitive effort, the Wildcats couldn’t secure a single set.

Match Leaders 

Kills: Sofia Maldonado Diaz – 13 

Assists: Ana Heath – 28

Digs: Joy Galles – 10 

Blocks: Alayna Johnson & Jordan Wilson – 4

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X