The Daily Wildcat’s team and player of the week: Nov. 26, 2023

Kohichiro Yamada
Arizona football quarterback Noah Fifita (11) prepares to throw the ball on Saturday, Sept. 30. The Wildcats lost the game 24-31.

This week in Wildcat sports, the football team asserted its dominance on the field, solidifying its position as one of the elite programs in the country. Simultaneously, the Arizona men’s and women’s dive teams showcased their prowess, securing impressive victories that underscored their speed, precision and team spirit.

Player of the Week

Noah Fifita– Quarterback, Football

Freshman quarterback Noah Fifita delivered yet another standout performance in his final regular-season game, culminating in an extraordinary display during the 97th Territorial Cup. Fifita amassed 527 yards and five touchdowns, surpassing the school record set by Anu Solomon with 30 completions out of 41 attempts.

Assuming the starting quarterback role after Jayden de Laura’s mid-season ankle injury against the University of Stanford, Fifita has garnered recognition as the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week for a conference record-breaking fifth time. Additionally, he secured the Davey O’Brien Award Great 8 honor for the third time and recently earned the College Football Performance Awards National Player of the Week. Notably, he has been named one of the Manning Stars of the Week for the second time. Leading his team to six wins as the starter, a 14th-place ranking in the AP poll and a bowl game appearance for the first time since 2017, Fifita has made a significant impact in his first collegiate season.

This promising start to Fifita’s collegiate career has captured the Wildcat community’s attention, sparking anticipation for what lies ahead.

Team of the Week

Men and women’s diving

The Arizona men’s and women’s diving teams showcased their skills at the Trojan Diving Invitational in the Uytengsu Aquatics Center. Collectively, they secured 11 top-ten finishes, marking Arizona’s sole competition until the conference season resumes in January. In the men’s division, the Wildcats achieved top-10 placements in all three events held over the weekend.

Key contributors to this successful outing included junior Brooke Earley, fifth-year athlete Bjorn Markentin and sophomore Gage DuBois.

Earley exhibited her passion and expertise by securing second-place finishes in both the 1-meter (591.10) and 3-meter (648.80) events.

Sophomore diver DuBois, a consistent top performer, claimed fifth place in the 1-meter (656.15), sixth in the 3-meter (720.85) and fourth in the men’s platform (673.60).

Markentin demonstrated his skills by achieving second place in all three of his events: men’s 1-meter (714.45), men’s 3-meter (755.95) and men’s platform (753.55).

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X