No. 2 Arizona MBB improves to 7-0 with win over Colgate

Mason Kumet
Caleb Love pulls up for a mid range shot in the opening minutes of Arizona’s home game against Colgate on Dec. 2. Love finished the game with three steals and only two rebounds short of a double double.

The Arizona men’s basketball team hosted Colgate University on Saturday, Dec. 2, in McKale Center, securing a victory with a final score of 82-55. Prior to this matchup, Arizona secured a 74-68 win against former No. 21 Michigan State University on Nov. 23, in Acrisure Arena in Palm Springs, California. The Wildcats managed to contain the Raiders, limiting only one of their players to reach double figures.

First Half:

The game commenced with Colgate forward Keegan Records scoring the opening points through a jumper. Arizona swiftly responded as guard Caleb Love sank a jumper and followed up with a steal, one of two he tallied in the game. Love then assisted guard Pelle Larsson for an easy layup. 

Despite early lead changes, both teams remained closely matched. Arizona held Colgate to 10 points in the first 10 minutes, establishing a 16-10 lead. Colgate’s Braeden Smith led his team with nine points in the first half. The Wildcats closed the half with a comfortable 35-30 lead, with center Oumar Ballo and Love both reaching double digits (Ballo with 12 and Love with 10).

Second Half:

Love started the second half energetically with a fast break, securing an easy dunk. Arizona went on a significant run, expanding its lead to 53-32, started by Kylan Boswell’s three-pointer off a turnover. The Wildcats applied strong defensive pressure, causing Colgate to miss nine of their first ten second-half shots. Arizona dominated the paint with a 28-6 advantage.

The team continued to showcase their offensive prowess with four consecutive dunks, including two by Keshad Johnson, extending their lead to 72-48. Love (14 points), Larsson, Johnson (both with 10), and Ballo (13 points, 10 rebounds) all reached double figures. Colgate’s Smith led his team with 11 points, while forward Jeff Woodward contributed eight. Despite efforts to close the gap, Colgate couldn’t reclaim the lead, and Arizona secured a convincing victory.

Head coach Tommy Lloyd was asked about the keys in the second half and the runs Arizona was able to go on. 

“I think our guys just had to get comfortable, you know, taking with possessions, moving the ball, getting to the next action, and then eventually if you move the pieces enough, you’re going to find the creases in the defense, and the little pockets to either penetrate and make passes.” 

Looking ahead

Arizona will face the University of Wisconsin-Madison next on Saturday, Dec. 9, at 1:15 p.m. in McKale Center, aiming to continue their winning streak against the Badgers.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X