Pac-12 power rankings and bowl game destinations

Kohichiro Yamada
Arizona football quarterback Noah Fifita (11) hugs Oregon State University quarterback DJ Uiagalelei on Saturday, Oct. 28, at Arizona Stadium. The Wildcats upset Oregon State 27-24.

After the No. 3 University of Washington defeated the No. 5 University of Oregon in the final Pac-12 Championship Game, eight of the 12 Pac-12 schools will prepare for bowl season, with conference teams playing nationwide.  

Pac-12 Championship Recap:

No. 3 Washington 34No. 5 Oregon 31 

Michael Penix Jr. outdueled fellow Heisman Trophy finalist Bo Nix for the second time this season. No. 3 Washington entered as 9.5-point underdogs against No. 5 Oregon, a team the Huskies beat earlier in the season. Nonetheless, Washington ignored the pressure and jumped out to an early 20-3 late in the second quarter. Oregon rallied in the third quarter to take a 24-20 lead before the Huskies used a strong fourth quarter to defeat the Ducks 34-31 to win the final Pac-12 Championship Game and punch their ticket into the College Football Playoffs.  

No. 3 Washington (13-0, 9-0 in Pac-12):

Penix finished the night with 319 yards, one touchdown and one interception. The sixth-year senior also regained his lead over Nix to lead the country in total passing yards. The Huskies had two receivers, Jalen McMillan and Rome Odunze, who eclipsed the century mark. McMillan recorded his second 100-yard game, as the junior had nine catches for 131 yards to lead the team. Fellow receiver Odunze recorded his fourth straight 100-yard game and ninth on the season, as the junior had eight catches for 102 yards. The ground game was led by Dillon Johnson, who rushed 152 yards and two touchdowns on a season-high 28 carries

No. 5 Oregon (11-2, 8-1 in Pac-12):

The DucksCollege Football Playoff hopes went up in flames as the Ducks suffered their second loss against the Huskies, eliminating them from Playoff contention. Nix finished the night with his worst completion percentage of the season. The fifth-year senior completed only 62% of his passes for 239 yards, three touchdowns and one interception, his third on the season. Oregon’s offense was quiet for most of the first half. Overall, the Ducks were outgained 481-363 in total yards. Tez Johnson had five receptions for 68 yards, his lowest in over four games. Traeshon Holden had one reception for a 63-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter but was unfortunately not enough to lift the Ducks past the Huskies. 

Pac-12 Bowl Games:

Starco Brands LA Bowl: Saturday, Dec. 16, at 5:30 p.m.

UCLA (7-5) vs. Boise State (8-5), SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California

UCLA faces off against Mountain West Conference champions Boise State University in Inglewood, California. In a virtual home game, the Bruins’ defense will look to fend off the hot Broncos offense, which has won four straight games

Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl: Saturday, Dec. 16, at 7:15 p.m. 

Cal (6-6) vs. Texas Tech (6-6), Independence Stadium in Shreveport, Louisiana 

The University of California Berkeley travels across the country to face Texas Tech University in Shreveport, Louisiana. Both teams finished their seasons strong, with the Golden Bears winning three straight games and the Red Raiders winning three of their final four games. Both teams will look to stay hot, and Cal will try not to let the cross-country trip impact their play.

SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl: Saturday, Dec. 23, at 5:30 p.m.

Utah (8-4) vs. Northwestern (7-5), Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas

The Las Vegas Bowl features two completely different teams. The University of Utah severely underperformed throughout the season, while Northwestern University exceeded expectations after going 1-11 one season ago. Utah’s experience and defense could help the Utes snap a four-bowl game losing streak

DIRECTV Holiday Bowl: Wednesday, Dec. 27, at 6 p.m.

USC (7-5) vs. No. 15 Louisville (10-3), Petco Park in San Diego

Reigning Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams will sit out USC’s bowl game against the No. 15 University of Louisville. The Cardinals were runners-up in the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship and enter as favorites over the struggling Trojans, who will be without several key players. The Trojans will look to overcome adversity and upset Louisville.

Valero Alamo Bowl: Thursday, Dec. 28, at 7:15 p.m.

No. 14 Arizona (9-3) vs. No. 12 Oklahoma (10-2), Alamodome in San Antonio

The No. 14 University of Arizona enters as one of the hottest teams in the country, and the Wildcats will be facing the No. 12 University of Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl. The Alamo Bowl, primed to be one of the better bowl games, will be the highest-ranked non-New Year’s Six Bowl. Head coach Jedd Fisch will look to lead the Wildcats to their first 10-win season since 2014, while the Sooners will try to pump the brakes on the Fisch hype train.

Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl: Friday, Dec. 29, at noon

No. 19 Oregon State (8-4) vs. No. 16 Notre Dame (9-3), Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas

No. 19 Oregon State University’s head coach, Jonathan Smith, departed the program for Michigan State University following their regular season finale. Quarterback DJ Uiagalelei entered the transfer portal and several other issues surrounding the Beaver program have reared their ugly heads. Meanwhile, the No. 16 University of Notre Dame has lost some key players to the portal but seem more stable than the Beavers. Oregon State will try to stun the Irish, but there may be too much chaos surrounding the program.

Vrbo Fiesta Bowl: Monday, Jan. 1, at 11 a.m.

No. 8 Oregon (11-2) vs. No. 23 Liberty (13-0), State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona

The Ducks are coming off a heartbreaking loss against Washington in the Pac-12 Championship. Meanwhile, their opponent, Liberty University, is coming off a Conference-USA Championship and is undefeated on the season. However, the Flames had one of the weakest schedules in the country. The lack of motivation could put Oregon at risk of an upset, or the Ducks could finish the season strong with a Fiesta Bowl win.

Allstate Sugar Bowl (College Football Playoff Semifinal): Monday, Jan. 1, at 6:45 p.m.

No. 2 Washington (13-0) vs. No. 3 Texas (12-1), Caesars Superdome in New Orleans

The undefeated Huskies ignored the doubters and knocked off Oregon for the second time this season to claim the final Pac-12 Championship. The University of Texas at Austin cruised past Oklahoma State University in the Big 12 Championship to punch a ticket into the College Football Playoffs. The Longhorns also have a road victory over the current No. 4 University of Alabama for the resume. The Huskies will look to remain undefeated, while Texas’s defensive line will try to shut down the explosive Washington offense.

Pac-12 power rankings:

1. No. 2 Washington (13-0, 9-0 in Pac-12) ↑1
  2. No. 8 Oregon (11-2, 8-1 in Pac-12) ↓1 
  3. No. 14 Arizona (9-3, 7-2 in Pac-12)
  4. No. 19 Oregon State (8-4, 5-4 in Pac-12)
  5. Utah (8-4, 5-4 in Pac-12)
  6. Cal (6-6, 4-5 in Pac-12) 
  7. UCLA (7-5, 4-5 in Pac-12)
  8. USC (7-5, 5-4 in Pac-12)
  9. Washington State University (5-7, 2-7 in Pac-12)
  10. The University of Colorado Boulder (4-8, 1-8 in Pac-12)
  11.  ASU (3-9, 2-7 in Pac-12)  
  12.  Stanford University (3-9, 2-7 in Pac-12)

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X