Arizona WBB fell to No. 5 Texas at home

The Arizona women’s basketball team faced the undefeated No. 5 University of Texas at Austin on Wednesday, Dec. 7, at 7:00 p.m., in McKale Center. The game concluded in an Arizona loss (88-75), bringing the Wildcats to 7-3 on the season.

First Half

The starting lineup featured Jada Williams, Helena Pueyo, Esmery Martinez, Kailyn Gilbert and Breya Cunningham. The Longhorns won the tip-off, capitalizing on the Wildcats’ slow start with two easy layups. Gilbert responded with a step-back jumper, putting the Wildcats on the scoreboard at 4-2.

Both teams produced multiple turnovers before the seven-minute mark. The Wildcats started to pick up the score after Gilbert hit a 3-pointer on a fast break, bringing the score to 6-5. The Longhorns responded with a jump shot in the paint by Rori Harmon. Fouls were drawn against the Wildcats, allowing the Longhorns to secure an eight-point lead.

The Wildcats fought back with back-to-back three-pointers and other contributions, ending the first period 22-25.

In the second period, turnovers continued on both sides. The Longhorns started this second period with a driving layup made by Harmon. The Wildcats couldn’t get their shots to fall until a personal shooting foul was drawn on Khadija Faye, getting the Wildcats within a three-point game. The Wildcats played incredible defense, but the Longhorns maintained their lead, ending the second period ahead 45-36.

Second Half

The Longhorns had complete control of the third period, drawing fouls and causing turnovers. Pueyo responded with a three-pointer, but soon after, the Longhorns went on an 11-point run. The Wildcats fought back by putting four points on the board. Shaylee Gonzales for the Longhorns pulled out three back-to-back three-pointers. The Wildcats tried to pick up the pace, but the Longhorns kept extending their lead. For the rest of the quarter, the Wildcats’ only points were made from free throws, leaving the score 76-52.

At the start of the fourth period, the Longhorns continued to start with the first point. Cunningham made the first point for the Wildcats this quarter with a layup. More fouls were drawn, but the Wildcats continued to amp up the energy when Gilbert made a layup off a turnover caused by Cunningham. Gilbert continued to help her team by making a three-pointer and shaking up the Longhorns’ offense. The Wildcats had another steal leading to Skylar Jones making a layup. However, the Wildcats couldn’t shake the Longhorns, ending the game 88-75.

Postgame and Looking ahead

Although the Wildcats couldn’t finish the game with the win,  they were able to navigate a close game with accuracy and persistent determination, showcasing their excellent teamwork and outstanding performance.

Arizona’s next game will be against in-state rival ASU in the Desert Financial Arena located in Tempe on Sunday, Dec. 17, at 5:00 p.m.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X