Arizona WBB loses its first conference game of the season to No. 5 Colorado

The Arizona women’s basketball team, faced the No. 5 University of Colorado Boulder in McKale Center on Friday, Jan. 5 at 6 p.m., with a packed house with over 7,000 tickets sold. Despite the intense competition, the Wildcats suffered a narrow defeat (75-74), bringing their season record to (9-5) on the season.

First Half

In the first half, the starting lineup comprised Jada Williams, Helena Pueyo, Kailyn Gilbert, Esmery Martinez and Breya Cunningham. Although Boulder secured an early lead, Williams contributed to Arizona’s score. Despite the Wildcats’ defensive pressure, the first quarter concluded with the Buffaloes ahead at 19-16.

The second quarter began with a Wildcats turnover, but Cunningham’s offensive prowess and Gilbert’s electrifying layup gave Arizona a temporary lead. Both teams displayed high energy, and despite Arizona’s strong defense, the Buffaloes reclaimed the lead, finishing the second period 38-36.

Second Half

Starting the second half strong, Pueyo’s easy layup couldn’t offset the Wildcats’ struggles with rebounds. Despite Arizona’s intense defense causing 14 turnovers, they faced foul trouble. The third period ended with Colorado leading 58-52, showcasing Arizona’s resilience.

In the fourth quarter, Arizona maintained pressure, but Boulder’s layups and the crowd’s fervent chants couldn’t change the outcome. Despite a missed jumper by Cunningham, Colorado secured a tight victory at 75-74.

Postgame and looking ahead

Despite the loss, Arizona’s performance sent a message of dominance in the Pac-12. The Wildcats displayed excellent execution and pride, keeping the game closely contested. The Wildcat community’s vocal support shook up Colorado.

Looking ahead, Arizona’s next game is against the No. 15 University of Utah at noon in McKale Center on Sunday, Jan. 5.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X